When should I replace my disposer on my kitchen sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When should I replace my disposer on my kitchen sink?

Homeowners ask me that all the time. Normally they wait until they no longer spin, not knowing that the clogs they had been getting are related to the poor performance of the chipping blades of the disposer. When they are no longer sharp, they can leave chunks that are too long or too large. This can pile up at the baffle tee and prevent the draining of the sinks. My personal feeling is that eight years is plenty good for a disposer to be efficient. Granted, they will spin a long time in some cases, but that doesn't mean they are dicing the food waste in small enough bits.

Please do yourself a favor and replace at ten years or sooner. It will save you money on a drain cleaner.

disposer_old.jpg

I think this disposer holds my record for the oldest living unit on the planet. This one I saw in Santa Rosa California while I was visiting friends.

If you're in the Seattle area, call me for my basic installed prices. 206-949-5683

seattle-ferry.jpg

Seattle from Alki
Insinkerator Pro 750 is so much quieter.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I removed this one today, I don't know how the dishwasher drain was working at all. They have a downward loop from the air gap, and back up to the inlet for the drain inlet on the disposer.

grease-in-disposer-01.jpg

When I filled the basin with the disposer, and then drained with the power on, there was a geyser shooting upward from the other bowl.

grease-in-disposer-02.jpg

It may have been all this grease in the drain.

grease-in-disposer-03.jpg

I cut out the p-trap and installed new tubular fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks