When should drain/overflow be connected to tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

mattyoungus

Reaction score
My tub install instructions say that the warranty is void if drain is installed after the tub is set. I was planning on measuring to get the PVC lined up and fixing the drain tubing to the PVC; then, installing tub and attaching drain and overflow which should be in place and properly aligned.

I can see that this route is a little risky as the tub might not line up perfectly, and at this point it would be hard to adjust. Now, I'm leaning towards installing the draining on the tub first, setting the tub, then connecting the drain to the PVC. Wanted to see what the standard way to do this is, and from experience which is easiest.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If I ever get a waste and overflow perfectly aligned, I'll probably drop dead right there on the spot.

I would drop dead it they were NOT, because that would mean I have to remove the tub and realign them.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry, I could have been more clear. The angle on the face of the overflow doesn't match up well to the tub, and you have to monkey with it some to get a good fit.

When possible, I fit the W/O to the tub to get the lengths right, then do the installation after the tub is in place.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks