When our well kicks in, things drip.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by runzwitsizrs, Oct 22, 2009.

1. runzwitsizrs

runzwitsizrs New Member

So, we have this old home. Its well maintained, but recently, we've noticed that when our well kicks on, our bathroom sink, tub, toilet and kitchen sink drip just a little bit. It continues for about 5 mins and then stops. Any reason you can think of as to why this is happening?

PS...we have poor water pressure.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

The fixtures are wore out and an increase in pressure causes them to start leaking until the pressure drops enough for the leaking to stop...
  3. runzwitsizrs

runzwitsizrs New Member

Cass, the fixtures had been replaced less than 10 yrs ago. Still think this is the problem?
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

yup.........but they don't need to be replaced...just fixed...unless that is not possible...
  5. runzwitsizrs

runzwitsizrs New Member

So, Cass...one more thing. We will be gutting our kitchen/bathroom...all pipes will be exposed. Planning to replace all of them sometime in the next year. I am guessing that the pipes are being occluded (partially) by lime, and thats whats causing the increase in pressure. Is there any harm being done to the pipes or even the pump? I mean, is there a possibility that one could rupture because of this? Or that its affecting the pump? Would it be something that, if it were happening at your house, you would fix now rather than wait till spring? It would be a major inconvenience, but would trust your judgement.
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

Even if lime were there, which I doubt, it would have nothing to do with high pressure...the high pressure would be caused by the pressure switch not working right...that is if the pressure is going higher than it used to...
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009