When it is “excessively high water pressure�

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I went over and looked at a job, (where he needs a new water supply line). He has a 5/8” water meter and the supply line is ¾”, (old and rusted) galvanized line. The distance from the meter to the house is around 40 feet.
When I tested for static pressure, he was getting 92 psi. When the back yard sprinklers came on, (as I was testing for static pressure) the pressure dropped down to 12 psi. I told him that he does need a new supply line, and, (because of the 92 psi) a pressure reducing valve. The only draw back, I told him, is that if the rest of the galvanized pipe that goes into the house is also restricted, and if we do install a prv, (and dial it down to around 65 psi) he may still have really low water volume in the house. He did mention to me that he has other plumbing issues in the house, and I should have had him elaborate on what he was talking about, but didn’t. I will call him on that today.
My question is; at what point is the psi considered, “excessively high water pressure” especially, taking into consideration that the house was built in the early 60’s.

Thanks, Mike

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Toady, most codes call for 80 PSI max. I don't know if there is a definition of "excessively high" but we could give you a long list of risks for having "high" pressure. You have to decide what level of risk 92 PSI poses.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo!

Toady, most codes call for 80 PSI max. I don't know if there is a definition of "excessively high" but we could give you a long list of risks for having "high" pressure. You have to decide what level of risk 92 PSI poses.

Thanks Jimbo, I kind of figured that would be the answer that I would get back. Each house has to be reviewed individually on what pressure it should operate on.
I have a really big grievance against the City of Phoenix water department. They guarantee that the water pressure to your house is between 40 and 110 psi. I have a lot of calls of water leaking main lines, (a lot of them pvc) and it’s’ due to pressure of 90 and above. The worst part of it is that most of the calls I get are low income people that are just barely making it pay check to pay check.
It’s like the power company saying that they will deliver power to your house between 80 and 400 volts, and you need to get your own transformer so your house doesn’t catch fire.

Thanks, Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I once measured water pressure over 190 PSI in a home. It was causing the toilet valve to open.

I thought that was a little excessive. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

Did you remove the pipe plug from the water heater's T&P valve? Because that is the only way it would not have been gushing water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did you remove the pipe plug from the water heater's T&P valve? Because that is the only way it would not have been gushing water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

No it was not tripping and she signed a waver specifically stating she did not want a PRV installed and what the ramifications could be if one was not installed....

It was probably mineral bound...typical in this area...I didn't want to touch it unless she wanted a PRV and tank installed. She was warned about all that could happen...some areas are as high as 40 GPG here..

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have had T&P levers break / bend trying to open them when draining a tank for replacement. or allowing pressure out to replace them.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No it was not tripping and she signed a waver specifically stating she did not want a PRV installed and what the ramifications could be if one was not installed....

It was probably mineral bound...typical in this area...I didn't want to touch it unless she wanted a PRV and tank installed. She was warned about all that could happen...some areas are as high as 40 GPG here..

Hey CASS,

You said that you once measured the pressure in a home that was 190 psi. Was this a private well, or was this from a private water company, or was it from the city. Here in Phoenix the water company says the won’t exceed 110 psi to your house, and I'm really discussed that they even go that high.
On you post you mentioned something about you’ve seen it up to 40 GPG. I know this sounds dumb, but what does the “GPG†stand for? (I know I’m going to feel really dumb when you tell me)…..LOL.
Did she ever tell you why she didn’t want the PRV?

Mike

GeoNOregon

Reaction score
story of a CLEAR indication of excessive water pressure.

I have 88 psi with very little drop off and haven't had any problems. Out water supply is on a fairly big ridge/hill to the north of town so everybody has pressure regulators just this side of the meter.

I love the water pressure, with the right nozzles, it's like a pressure washer!

The drop off to 15 PSI with the sprinklers on seems like a lot. Did somebody put in too large of a feed to the sprinklers before to gets to the house? I ask 'cause I'm getting ready to install sprinkler around here and I'd hate to kill my pressure when the sprinklers are on.

Gotta share 'too high water pressure' story. Your post reminded me of it. I have a buddy who lives a mile or so away. He knows nothing about construction, plumbing, etc He decided to put in sprinklers.

I think it was 'Home Depot' courage - kinda like liquid courage, but this comes from excessive sensory input from being surrounded with all the macho construction materials at Home Depot!

So Kevin installs EVERYTHING: sprinklers everywhere, computer control, everything fancy, money's no object with him. He knew enough to turn off the water at the meter before he connected to the main. He'd found the main supply in a convenient location to tap, so does the deed.

This was before I knew him, but I'm sure he was beaming when he got done and was about to power up the controller, watch all the flashing lights and turn on the water.

Poor Kevin. Didn't know about the pressure regulator. He cranked open the water and it was like the big scene in Caddyshack when Bill Murray was trying to get the gopher. Sprinkler heads started popping all in a row and water was gushing like Yellowstone. Fortunately Kevin has a good sense of humor; he was laughing harder than I was when he told the story.

That, Mike, is a clear sign of excessive water pressure!

Good luck with the dilemma.

George

Last edited:

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I told you !!!

GPG would be grains per gallon a measure of hardness...
40 is pretty damn hard!

Well, I told you guys that I would feel stupid, and I do….LOL. As I was reading it, for some reason I thought he was still talking about water pressure…STUUUUUPID!

Mike

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey George

I have 88 psi with very little drop off and haven't had any problems. Out water supply is on a fairly big ridge/hill to the north of town so everybody has pressure regulators just this side of the meter.

I love the water pressure, with the right nozzles, it's like a pressure washer!

The drop off to 15 PSI with the sprinklers on seems like a lot. Did somebody put in too large of a feed to the sprinklers before to gets to the house? I ask 'cause I'm getting ready to install sprinkler around here and I'd hate to kill my pressure when the sprinklers are on.

Gotta share 'too high water pressure' story. Your post reminded me of it. I have a buddy who lives a mile or so away. He knows nothing about construction, plumbing, etc He decided to put in sprinklers.

I think it was 'Home Depot' courage - kinda like liquid courage, but this comes from excessive sensory input from being surrounded with all the macho construction materials at Home Depot!

So Kevin installs EVERYTHING: sprinklers everywhere, computer control, everything fancy, money's no object with him. He knew enough to turn off the water at the meter before he connected to the main. He'd found the main supply in a convenient location to tap, so does the deed.

This was before I knew him, but I'm sure he was beaming when he got done and was about to power up the controller, watch all the flashing lights and turn on the water.

Poor Kevin. Didn't know about the pressure regulator. He cranked open the water and it was like the big scene in Caddyshack when Bill Murray was trying to get the gopher. Sprinkler heads started popping all in a row and water was gushing like Yellowstone. Fortunately Kevin has a good sense of humor; he was laughing harder than I was when he told the story.

That, Mike, is a clear sign of excessive water pressure!

Good luck with the dilemma.

George

That is a good story. Just a thought…if you have a fairly good size area that you are going to install your new irrigation system in, you can have Rain Bird design it for you. I did that the for my neighbor new system. The area he was going to install new sprinklers was fairly large and to top it off, he is on a well system where the pressure runs between 40 and 60 psi. Rain Bird did great job designing the system, including a full sheet of parts that we will need. I’ve seen more poorly design sprinkler systems put in by the home owners, (and like you said) I think a lot of it is that, “'Home Depot courageâ€â€¦LOL. If you interested in doing that, just pick up one of those Rain Bird books at yes….Home Depot. Zoning is the key in keeping enough water pressure to the house, while the sprinkler system is running.
The reason why that home has 92 psi static pressure, and then it drops down to that 12 psi when the sprinkler system comes on isn’t because he has to may sprinkler head on. He has a really old rusty ¾†galvanized main line from the meter to the house, and the inside of the ¾†line, (because of all of the rust) is now like he has a 3/8†line….lot of pressure, but no volume.
Try that Rain bird deal….I can guarantee that you will be happy with it!

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks