When indoor plumbing goes outdoors.... to sewer. What pipe type??

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Seattle says to use either astm 1575 or astm 3034 pipe for side sewer lines. The heavy duty 1575 is for less than 18" from surface. (Confusing to me, I'd have thought heavy duty for more earth atop!) Anyway, our plumbing stack is being relocated and after passing under foundation wall, we're just over 2 ft from the sewer. Outside the foundation it's a good 5 ft underground. Is regular foam core ABS suitable for this application? They won't allow foam core for sewer so I would think not... but then again this is the building dept vs the public health so sense may not have anything to do with it. SO... foam core ABS buried 5ft within 2ft of foundation wall OR PVC 1575 OR... what? Is there solid core ABS (astm??)?

They also said for the gutter downspouts that we're routing horizontally underground around to the sewer (we already had to put in a foundation drain as the backyard slopes towards house) we'd have to use the 4" astm 1575 because it was under 18" deep (otherwise astm 3034 would be ok). When these gutter lines (3 downspouts) run into the sewer... or I should say BEFORE they do I was told by a gutter guy we'd need to put in a P-trap. So... 4" P-trap? Is that right? This can be buried too? OR what do we do? (We're afraid that the drain to downspout connection will not be great and don't want to risk introducing sewer gases at ground level, otherwise they'd of course vent to the gutters fine.)

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not go by those ASTM numbers, but I assume 3034 is the thin PVC S&D pipe. if so, I would not use it for ANYTHING. Sch. 40 only regardless of the depth.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would be a rare city that would let you run the downspouts and connect them to the sewer, these days. And if they did, I would assume they would hit you with some hefty sewer fees to process the water.

DavidTu

Reaction score
It's a 100 yr old house so "combination " sewer is grandfathered in. Only had to pay a permit fee to alter it.

Yes, astm 3034 is the green Sdr sched 35 sewer and drain pipe. Since my shallow run apparently does need to be sched 40 solid core I'll just do it all in sched 40, in part based on your comments.

My other question was to do with how can I come out from house with reg sch 40 foam core abs when solid is needed at surface . My supplier says, tho, that the problem with foam core below foundation is not the foam at depth but rather that after the main (inside) CO the concern is that the blades of a rooter would possible damage the foam core, so he said to use solid PVC after the inside CO for bith inside and outside. Do you agree?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks