In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Common mistakes, what are they?
MainWaste.jpg

bigbird

Reaction score
I'm no plumber, but doesn't the cleanout have to be either vertical or at least slanted up on an angle?
Is the cleanout plug glued in place?
Why are there 2 electrical cables coming through the same opening as the pipe?
Is that reducer in the right place? I would think it should be above the cleanout.
I also see SM blue insulation on the wall (OK) but I don't know if styrofoam along the studs is OK.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
The electrical is UF cable going to the septic dose tank.
The cleanout is a common sense mistake but not a code issue.
IRC applies to the 2 defects.
Still looking for answers.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, a santee on its back is a no-no. According to the UPC, a 3-1/2" cleanout is the minimum size for a 4" line.

I don't like the reducing coupling, since I'd prefer a full 4" cleanout, and the installer should have thought of that. But we have this thing here about requiring a 4" pipe coming out of the building and many houses do not require the equivalent of 4" pipe based upon fixture units. So it's common to use a reducing coupling before the pipe goes through the foundation.

There's a bit of confusion as to cleanouts since they require a cleanout outside the building and a horizontal pipe less than 5' does not require a cleanout. So, in theory, this cleanout going through the wall doesn't even have to be there, as long as there is one outside the building. I would prefer to have a two-way cleanout in the vertical pipe and a longsweep elbow to this type of setup.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
New construction? Where I'm at that wouldn't have been a problem prior to 2007. Now; yes. I still want my secret decoder ring!

-Sam

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sleeve

Unless the sleeve was inserted during the concrete pour, it is no more effective than just putting the pipe through the wall, and at least you don't have to try to seal two pipes instead of just one.

Construct30

Reaction score
In the case of a clean out only with no pipe, why is the sanitary tee on its back so bad? I just had to ask the stupid question. You see it all the time in old plumbing. I've never seen a problem as a result. I agree with the idea of putting it on the verticle so it won't leak, but the straight shot for cleaning purposes is nice.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
sanitary Tees can only be on their back for vents only. They are prone to clog. This should have been a wye.

They were not designed to be on their back and the plumbing code (ICC/IRC) would required a wye.

Through the foundation wall requires a sleeve.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes , but was it required when that building was built.

If not the problem would be improper / non sealing of the pipe reguardless of the homes age and it would not be a code violation.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
should have ...could have

Idelally it would have been nicer to see a wye
instead of a tee, but it will work for a few hundred years
just fine.... i see that all the time....

the real problem I see that should have been fixed is the wire going out the side of the slab with no sleeve on it..

or should that wire have been separately sleeved??

that will cause them greif some day .

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would say something about the clean out and the reducer.

As far as that wire it looks like dirty yellow romex (spelling). It needs it’s own sleeve of some sort. With out getting a better look at the cable I’m 100% sure that cable is not a direct bury.

I know you said the wires went to the septic tank. Are they for a pump and float system or did you get stuck with an air pump system? You might end up with problems with the other end of those wirers at some point (something to look into). I have found that they skip stuff on one end of something they will skip something on the other end.

MG

Reaction score
Idelally it would have been nicer to see a wye
instead of a tee, but it will work for a few hundred years
just fine.... i see that all the time....

The changeover to PVC for our house required removing one just like that tee. CI ones are a bit larger, but there was nothing wrong with it.

I'd think with the vertical drop there from above that it would clear ok.

Last edited:

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
The bottom line is that is does not comply with the IRC on this newly constructed house. It is therefore a violation and was corrected to comply with the state UCC/IRC.

Whether you think it is OK or not is always an opinion but in this case it clearly violated the prescriptive code as written and enforced. The plumber had to return and do it the right way.

The wire is UF btw

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
We wouldn't do sleeves through the foundation here. Water, bugs, dirt, all would have room to penetrate. What the heck are wires doing going through the foundation?

I do "sleeve" water lines through foundations - usually I drill a hole then use pipe wrap on the poly, which is allowed to be brought inside before transitioning to something else.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I always sleeve with 6†PVC run the 4†though it and use silicone about 1†deep on the out side pack it full of fiberglass and fill go with another 1†of silicone.

I did have one home owner ask about it leaking and I told him that it should never leak. I also explained how I did it and he under stood and thought it would be good. I did offer to pull the silicone out on the inside and as much fiberglass as I could and fill it with what ever he wanted but he could not think of a better way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks