What's wrong with this in-wall Geberit and Duravit Toilet Install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevemac00

Reaction score
We currently have a wall-mounted toilet into a 3" copper stack as shown from the backside in this photo:
Toilet Drain Closeup.jpg

As part of the bath remodel, we want to install a Duravit Toilet/Bidet combination 90° perpendicular about 3.5 feet from current stack. I'll be using Geberit in-wall tank as shown below.
New.jpg

I would come out of the toilet with the Geberit drain elbow at 45° then slope down and around the corner to wye into the existing drain stack (3.5 ft travel). This should end up coming out of the Geberit elbow about 10in off floor and sloping down to new wye a little above the floor.

The questions:
  1. Can I safely (and IRC codewise) remove the current toilet bronze (tee?, not sure of name) and use Fernco couplings to couple in a PVC Wye (or Tee)?
  2. Do you think the new flush will work well enough with the elbow and length of PVC to drain?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
geberit_carrier_1.jpg

You may need to connect in lower. They do make a Mission coupling that goes from copper to plastic. A plastic wyes takes some space though if you figure the wye fitting, and then the 3" on each side with the couping.

mission_bandseal.jpg

These couplings.

Stevemac00

Reaction score
Glad the couplings are approved for in-wall use although I'm not sure what you mean by "connect in lower". If it's because of that bronze connector being too close to floor, I understand we may have to cut the copper below the floor.

Do you think the 45° (instead of vertical) output of the Geberit combined with a couple of more elbows around the corner and down to the vertical drain will cause toilet flushing issues?

In case another reader needs it, here's the link for Mission Rubber PK-33 http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/BandSealCouplings.php.
Fernco also makes a similar product:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/proflex-couplings

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can throw a few fittings at that and it will still work. You're really mainly counting horizontal changes.
A pipe at 45 degrees to vertical is considered vertical.

Stevemac00

Reaction score
I determined I cannot come in lower than the floor level. But my drawing modeling works with this Geberit tailpiece. (The top drawing is in the knee wall attic then it needs to turn 90° into the 2x6 wall to the drain tee in the bottom drawing. The elbow is not shown.)

However, when I showed this to a plumber, he said something about as soon as I go horizontal the code requires a vent (or something along those lines).

Would this be outside the code? (The vent is the upper part of the tee in the bottom drawing.)
GeberitDrain.jpg

Stevemac00

Reaction score
I found this in the UPC:
Water closets shall be not more than 4 feet (1219 mm) horizontally from the stack.
Exception: Water closets shall be permitted to be up to 8 feet (2438 mm) horizontally from the stack where connected to the stack through a sanitary tee.​
So it appears this is okay in regards to horizontal.

Now I have to determine how to connect bidet. I have two choices for venting it separately into a dry vent. I can meet up with the lavatory dry vent or I have another branch coming up from the crawl space (2") - both connecting above all water levels.

Question:
If the bidet is vented separately and the bidet drain P-Trap is higher than the toilet drain pipe, can the bidet drain wye into the toilet drain?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would run over to the bidet with 2" and run a 2" vent for both the bidet and toilet.
A single vent there would handle both.
The bidet would wash the horizontal portion of the wet vent.

Stevemac00

Reaction score
Thanks. Building Inspector stopped by this morning to look at my plans and said no problem with the toilet tailpiece and no problem with the bidet vent/drain! Now it's time to order the fixtures and start the work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks