What's up with my shower drain?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bsmith_tsu, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bsmith_tsu

bsmith_tsu New Member

I have discovered a small slow leak on the wall opposite side of the shower (ground floor). Looking at the shower drain, don't think this is correct. Please note the space in the second picture. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Shower drain:
    [​IMG]

A closer look-- why is there a space between the two pipes? Could this be the cause of my problem?
    [​IMG]
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It LOOKS like it is cracked, but it could just be dirty there. No way to tell from the picture. If it is cracked about the only easy solution is some type of epoxy putty to seal it.
  3. bsmith_tsu

bsmith_tsu New Member

Just to clarify are you talking about this area?

[​IMG]
  4. bsmith_tsu

bsmith_tsu New Member

Update: the area in the space all around the strainer body is very gritty/loose.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

FWIW, a properly built shower is supposed to be waterproof BEFORE the finished tile is installed...the tile is the wear, decorative layer. So, cracked grout should not be the problem, but it is a symptom of movement and movement is bad for tiled things. Under normal circumstances, the mortar should last centuries unless you use caustic chemicals to clean things - some of the Roman bridges, floors, buildings, etc. have lasted over two millennium. But, allow things to move around, and the repeated stresses can crack or crush the mortar joint, and things can fail quickly. It looks like a solvent welded (cemented) joint. Do you know what type of pan was used? that doesn't look like a clamping drain of a conventional liner type shower, but then, I'm not sure, either.