What's under my 1957 Floor boards !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric B

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of an extensive reno of my Poodle Pink tile, 1957, master bathroom. It seems I have iron pipe under the floors in the crawl space. I've sledge hammered out the tile and poured cement basin for the shower. Now I have the drain pipe protruding about 4 inches up into the space. It's severely corroded and no wrench will ever get it out! Would you recommend that I cut the drain pipe under the house at the joint into the main drain pipe, or can I cut it at floor level and do some sort of PVC slip joint into the 2 inch drain pipe? I'm installing a premade shower pan into the space and will forego the re-pouring of cement and floating.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the top of the pipe is all corroded, I'd take a hard look at the p-trap as well before I decided what to do. But, if you have enough height, you can use a banded coupling to mate up with a short piece of pvc, to the new drain. If any of this is galvanized verses cast iron, I'd replace all of the galvanized pipe while I was working on things. You should also verify that the vent is going to meet up with current code requirements.

If you want to tile the floor, make sure things are up to snuff. Sounds like there was a mudbed there, and it may not support a traditional tiled floor without doing some additional work. YOu might want to check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling things.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; . Sounds like there was a mudbed there, and it may not support a traditional tiled floor without doing some additional work.

IF it supported a mudbed, there is NO "traditional tiled floor" which would be heavier than that.

Eric B

Reaction score
Thanks
If the top of the pipe is all corroded, I'd take a hard look at the p-trap as well before I decided what to do. But, if you have enough height, you can use a banded coupling to mate up with a short piece of pvc, to the new drain. If any of this is galvanized verses cast iron, I'd replace all of the galvanized pipe while I was working on things. You should also verify that the vent is going to meet up with current code requirements.

If you want to tile the floor, make sure things are up to snuff. Sounds like there was a mudbed there, and it may not support a traditional tiled floor without doing some additional work. YOu might want to check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling things.
Thank you for the advice. I'm trying to avoid going under the house. Too many critters under there for me to be comfortable. Rattle snakes and other creepy, crawly things under there!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A traditional mudbed can overcome LOTS of structural issues that a direct bonded thinset tile installation cannot handle. The mudbed tends to act like a floating floor structure, somewhat independent of the building. When you directly bond to the structure, it must not move more than a certain amount, or the tile and grout WILL fail. The only way you'd know is to measure the span, width, spacing, and ideally, species of wood supports so you can calculate the deflection rating. Then, a suitable subfloor must be installed to account for stability (planks move too much, and the tile must be isolated from them with plywood). So, bottom line, having a mudbed then switching to a bonded, thinset tile install does NOT always work without changes and proper prep work. If you want to see what's required, the TCNA (Tile Council of North America) has lots of information in their handbook, and is the industry bible on how to do anything with tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks