What's the secret sauce on manuerving a Drop in Cast Iron Tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by chefwong, May 11, 2013.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Cast Iron Standalone or Apron Tub. No Problem. Just shimmy and set it it's place...with tons of help.

How about a 60" Cast Iron Drop In - with a working width of 60".....
    I do prefer the cast iron, as the missus likes the soak.

Just wondering any tips on how to get a 300 pounder up and over when you only really have leverage on the front and some wiggle room
    with now walls nailed up, and you have your *hands* on the framing..
  2. chefwong

chefwong New Member

BTW, one more detail. Went tub shopping today...
    Unless all the floor models were installed to a certain spec, are tubs about 2" higher these days compared to previous yester-years models.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

4. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Heh. I remember that thread. Dropping and CI right on the floor is much much easier than.... figuring out how to life the beast for a drop in, with no room in the back and just *open wall* for hands on the other 2 sides. Might have to play around, cleat it from the drain and do some McGuyvering winching it up and over
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A 60" "drop in tub" in a 60" recess is a disaster waiting to happen, even if you install the "optional tile bead". You put the "cleats" on the back 3 sides, then slide it in, before finishing the front "wall".
  6. chefwong

chefwong New Member

OMG. I was thinking about the *box* and did not think about just the 3 cleats as the platform and then deal with the front from there.
    RO - etc to be built. So I should be good on that...

HJ. A lifesaver. I suppose that CI is not entirely ruled out for the tub replacement versus acrylic.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I skipped the part about this being a drop in tub. If you are tiling down to it, like putting it within three walls, you may have problems with water.
    Drop-Ins normally aren't for showering.
  8. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Any reason on not for showering - if Given the Premise that the construction of the walls to the tub will be waterproofed correctly.

I have to dig some tech sheets. Was looking at a couple different tubs - have yet to decided on one.
    One was a drop it with a tile flange. I believe I was just going to choose the non flanged as was planning to make my own *flashing*