What's the quietest rear outlet toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocknice21

Reaction score
FOLLOW-UP:

I went out on a limb and installed the Sani-Flo toilet this summer in our basement. You can see from the picture that the toiled mounts to the floor and ties into a long radius 3" PVC TEE. The 3" rubber coupling is sized for the OD of a 3" PVC fitting (not 3" PVC pipe). It just took a little fancy work with some leftover baseboard to cover up the large hole in the drywall. This toilet is GRAVITY fed! It flushes by literally dumping the entire contents of the tank into the bowl in one violent deluge.

No clogs.... we're about 7' from the main stack!!

Hope this helps someone!

-Ryan

toilet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jish

Reaction score
I have a couple quick questions on this thread.

In the first post Terry says that because of the change to 1.6 gallons you can no longer find gravity tank that works as floor mounted rear outlet.

I said "most" of the floor mount, rear exit toilets were pressure assist, not all.
And then I went on to list those that were pressure assist and those that were gravity.
Terry

In my condo I am pretty sure what I have is the Crane Flormont 3932N - and according to the specs online it is "gravity fed siphon jet flush action" - does that mean it is gravity and not pressure assist?

If I were to try to replace it with the Kohler Barrington Pressure Lite I have 3 questions:

1. Would there likely be any issues with my condo building in doing this? Would it affect other units?
2. Would it be significantly louder than the Crane I have currently?
3. It says that the Crane has a 4 1/8" high mount on the wall and the Kohler says 4" - is this fine? Will it fit properly?

thanks so much in advance!

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The measurement from the floor to centerline of the flange is critical. You would probably have to shim the toilet up 1/8
No other part of the building should be affected
Since the new toilet is pressure-assist, then yes it is considerably louder\

A siphon-jet is NOT pressure assist. It just means the principal flush is from a hole right in the throat...water rushing in there starts the flow and the siphon action. This is the most common flush today, at least in my observation

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The answer to question #1 will have to come from your condo association. As I understand it, many condo associations have very stringent rules on what is and what is not acceptable.

PoetPatriot.com

Reaction score
Website
www.PoetPatriot.com
WOW ! What we won't do or spend for convenience.

What we won't do for simple convenience. Of course, some of you do not have a choice.

I have considered putting in a toilet in my garage but did not want to break out the foundation or floor concrete. Reading over this and other threads, I may just put in a urinal and go to the house for the other . . .

Water

Reaction score
I read some reviews off the home depots website and people said the Gerber doesn't flush well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Kohler Barrington, pressure assist
American Standard Yorkville, pressure assist
Gerber Maxwell floor mount, rear outlet, gravity

All of these meet the WaterSense rating of moving at least 350 grams of solids.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
there are probably some good European toilet options

Or not. No reason at all to go down that road. The right approach is to assume that a toilet is junk unless proven otherwise. With the Totos and with a couple of models from some of the other manufacturers, there is demonstrated excellent performance. Beyond that, see Rule 1, above.

Michael Tucker

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this thread, but in a similar position of having to replace two rear outlet 4" rough-in toilets, installed back to back. Not sure if the existing fitting in the wall would be a wye or a cross fit to the stack. To confirm Terry's advice above, does anyone know the model number of the gravity fed gerber maxwell-floor mount rear outlet ? I am looking at Gerber MX-21-022. http://www.gerberonline.com/product/MX-21-022. This model says "dual fed siphon jet." I don't know if that translates to loud pressure assist, or gravity.

We need a relatively quiet flush that doesn't create problems with siphoning for back to back installation. It seems a tall order based on available models.

Also, has anyone looked at the Niagra Stealth rear outlet? I can't tell if its pressure assist or gravity. https://niagaracorp.com/products/original-stealth-rear-outlet/

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm new to this thread, but in a similar position of having to replace two rear outlet 4" rough-in toilets, installed back to back. /

Both the Gerber Maxwell and the Niagara are gravity bowls. Both should be fairly quiet.
They have them in standard and the floor mount, rear outlet models. I haven't seen the rear outlet Niagara version yet, but have installed their standard version of it.

Gerber also makes a pressure assist floor mount, rear outlet in the Ultraflush line.

stealth-rear-outlet.jpg

Niagara Stealth rear outlet

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks