What's the most reliable way to go from copper to pex without soldering?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by amateurplumber1, Apr 15, 2013.

1. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Just curious to hear what you think is the best way to go! I know a lot of people wouldn't consider not soldering, though.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I normally solder on a PEX adapter to copper pipe.
    However if you're not soldering, then you are looking at a sharkbite.
  3. teddy12

teddy12 New Member

Been very happy with my SharkBite adapters so far. Are you not trying to solder because of tight spacing or things nearby?
  4. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

To be honest, I have none of the stuff required and it's gonna be kind of expensive. That, and I have no experience soldering, and I want to get this project done. Thanks for all the info!
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Basic soldering "stuff" is not expensive. All you need is a propane torch, a can of flux, a tubing cutter, a roll of solder, and a roll of emery cloth or brushes to clean the pipe ends and fittings. Sweating joints is not a difficult skill to learn, even if your first efforts don't look pretty, they will work. A few practice fittings and a little pipe is all you need to learn.