What's next for leaking toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jtech1, Aug 31, 2013.

1. jtech1

jtech1 New Member

Kohler Memoirs toilet has been losing water in the tank. After it fills to proper line, water level drops about an inch over a few minutes, then it runs, then happens all over again. I thought for sure it was the flapper, so I replaced with a Korky. No change. If I keep my hand in tank and put pressure down on the flapper it STILL loses water. Where the heck else could it be going? Is it time to replace the entire guts of the tank? If so, what is the best stuff I can get for the Kohler Memoirs?
  2. lordmoosh

lordmoosh New Member

Is there any gunk around where the flapper touches the bowl? I once had a leaking issue in a Toto Ultramax. There was some gunk buildup on the flapper and on the tank side where the flapper makes contact. I had to clean both really well and then the issue went away. The gunk was preventing a good seal.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Make sure the fill tube daylights over the overflow tube.
    If it's pushed down the overflow, it will siphon from the tank.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

There may also be a crack in the overflow riser. Turn off the water and wait an hour or more while the tank water settles to a particular level. If it drains down to where the flapper and the flapper seat intersect, then it's probably something with the flapper. If it stops settling at a particular spot above the flapper, check the overflow riser at or around that point (as well as whether the refill hose is stuck in the overflow riser to that point rather than mounted above it). If it stops draining below the flapper, then you probably have a crack in the flush valve below the flapper level.

Sometimes the riser will crack underneath the clip that holds the refill hose in place. Remove it and give the riser a little squeeze and see if it doesn't deform around a crack.

Let us know what it turns out to be.
  5. jtech1

jtech1 New Member

Thanks, guys. Excellent suggestions. I will check those out and see what happens. Thanks!
  6. jtech1

jtech1 New Member

That did the trick! The fill tube was down in the overflow tube a couple inches. I found a $2 clip at HD and have it attached above the overflow tube now and all is well! I had not touched this toilet for 5 years since I installed it... I am wondering how the tube got down there... I did not see any broken clip in the tank or tube... do Kohler toilets usually come from the factory with a clip or the fill tube just sitting in the overflow tube?

I appreciate everyone's help!
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It came with a clip.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013