What's my toilet's problem?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by indyanguy, Oct 31, 2007.

1. indyanguy

indyanguy New Member

The water/waste doesn't drain but keeps rotating in the toilet bowl ugh!. I thought it could be clogged so tried unclogging it with a plunger and a snake, but haven't had any luck.

What could be the problem?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The drain line is likely clogged. It could be further than your snake could reach. You may need a longer snake.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Your drain is still clogged. Snakes that are homeowner size frequently are simply not good enough to clear a clogged drain. In fact, they can make the problem worse by shoving the clog in deeper and compacting it even worse than it was. What is needed is a professional plumber who has the size of auger it will take and the know how to use it. Do not, repeat, do not use chemicals to try to open this. They not only will not clear the clog, they will create a hazard for the plumber when you finally realize that is the only course of action open to you.
  4. jadnashua

Check out the Fernco site. They listed a couple of new fittings that may work for you. I didn't read the details, but saw them in passing.
  5. BAPlumber

BAPlumber Plumber

does the water rise to the rim or just swirl around and not rise?
  6. IMTONY

IMTONY New Member

I usually face the same problem. May b b'cos the drainage system has blocked. :eek:
  7. indyanguy

indyanguy New Member

It just swirls around and the water level rises a little bit but not all the way upto the rim.
  8. indyanguy

indyanguy New Member

Sounds like the problem is major enough to justify calling the plumber instead of trying to do it myself?
  9. jadnashua

If you are lucky, a little plunging will work, a closet auger might work if it is close by (within maybe 5' of the toilet), but if the clog is further away, it is probably best to call a plumber.