what's fair?

Users who are viewing this thread

sbjoe1

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input dealing with a plumber. Last Saturday the shower in my second bath clogged up and I called a plumber who came out to snake it. We do not have a clean out so he said that he could only use the medium size snake which meant the work was not guaranteed. I payed $95. I wend out of town on Monday and came back Friday. The following Saturday the shower clogged again. He came out today and cleared it but tried to charge me again. ($95 again). I told him I was not going to pay full price since it basically worked for two showers. What do you think it fair to pay? Should I pay the full price again since the work was not guaranteed?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If he told you he couldn't guarantee the work because of your set up and you called him again you should pay the full price. IMO, you are 100% wrong here.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you think it meant when he told you the original job was not guaranteed? :confused: I'm not an attorney, but I think it is pretty clear that when this plumber takes you to small claims court, you will pay. It's really a no brainer. You might want to have a clean out put in so the larger snake can be used and you can get a guarantee on the work.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
You might also want to find a real plumber with a real drain cleaning machine .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

1. I always use the largest snake the drain will accept, therefore there is NO exclusion on the guarantee.
2. $75.00 for a Saturday job? You got it half price, so maybe now he is trying to charge you the rest of the bill.
3. Cleanouts for shower drains are seldom useful because the stoppage is usually between the drain AND the cleanout, not past it.
4. You are being scammed if he wants a second charge. REGARDLESS of what kind or size snake he used, if it was done correctly it would have lasted much longer than that.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with hj and would not call this guy back...I can think of only 1 maybe 2 showers or tubs that I have ever seen that had C/O on them...most do not...

BUT...

you should never have called him back if you weren't going to pay him again...you had him do the job knowing full well that he wasn't going to stand behind anything he did...a job not guaranteed is just that...you agreeded to that, you should have call and found someone who would guarantee their work before you had anyone do the work...but maybe, just maybe, you did and didn't like the prices quoted...every one I know is around $150.00 or more for that job...

Regardless of what you think he should do you should honor what you agreed to first and learn from it...

I tell my customers that they will have to pay even if I can't open the line...because there is no guarantee that it will open because I can't see inside a pipe to know what the problem is...like the time I went back on a job 2-3 times and they paid each time and then when a camera was run (another charge) we found a 25' electricians fish tape in the line...It had been there since the house was built...

You got what you paid for and weren't happy...whos fault is that...

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'm looking for some input dealing with a plumber. Last Saturday the shower in my second bath clogged up and I called a plumber who came out to snake it. We do not have a clean out so he said that he could only use the medium size snake which meant the work was not guaranteed. I payed $95. I wend out of town on Monday and came back Friday. The following Saturday the shower clogged again. He came out today and cleared it but tried to charge me again. ($95 again). I told him I was not going to pay full price since it basically worked for two showers. What do you think it fair to pay? Should I pay the full price again since the work was not guaranteed?

Galvanized piping, cast iron, incorrect PVC piping systems cannot guarantee a thorough cleaning.

If the house is older where old piping is apparent, its a gambe like all the rest.

Here's what I tell my customers with drain problems:

"I clear drains on a regular basis, look at the size of my cable and look at the size of your piping. If I cannot get that cable through your piping then you have serious issues with the pipe."

I'm thorough when I clean a drain, I give it my best shot, but sometimes the piping configuration is the problem. If you don't want to pay for better access/larger cable, then I cannot control the circumstance you've created for yourself.

I had just this situation present itself on a kitchen sink drain where the customer called 5 days later saying it is clogged again. Here's part of the reason why:

Look at how that drain from the trap immediately goes up, 8 to 10" before entering the wall

He called, wanted to know how much it would cost to get the piping right. I wouldn't even give him a price, because I do not want to cut into month old cabinets, have to remove a high end sink faucet so I don't hit the tubing coming down from the faucet itself to open that wall.

He wants a complete job, I want what I do every day; touch the pipe and fittings and nothing else.

Anyone who has sat in a cabinet chopping through the back of one of those cabinets, along with punching holes through plaster and lathe, you know what is involved and this guy wanted nothing to do with any part of the task except write a check, be done with it.

I told him to get me proper access and I'll be able to run my larger cable, but I won't even chance that piping configuration with an aggressive blade, knowing how difficult it was to get 1/4" into the drain and not trail a vent, which it was doing from the go.

Never heard back from the guy but my time and effort was the charge. I didn't age that piping 30+ years and push food waste through that garbage disposal.

Wish things were different, but, I can't control F'd up plumbing by handymen who saved them a buck on the install. NMP

RTAPlumbing

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.rtaplumbing.com
It sounds to me like he was uncertain the the drain was cleaned before he left. Sounds like a bad job. Sorry to hear that, but I think everyone is right you would probably have to pay again. Maybe find a different guy. He did give you a good price but I guess you get what you pay for with him.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks