What's your opinion of the build quality of this Mansfield Summit 3? -PICS-

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
SK: I think the other cult members will stop heckling you now that you have officially pledged allegiance and come Into The Fold. Having once been the victim of Good Marketing Of Bad Toilets, I can follow your logic. "Hey, on the box this looks like the same trapway as the other more expensive toilet, and it's made in the US!" Totally logical. Like my logic in buying a beautiful-but-horrible Kohler that matched the beautiful bathroom sink we installed. I subsequently hit it with a sledge and installed a Drake, but it took years because I figured if Kohler couldn't make a good 1.6gpf toilet, nobody could. The boys here set me straight.

We do have your best interests at heart. It's just a little Tough Love. I appreciate your dignified responses.

And I know you will love your purchase. Let us know the unvarnished truth of what you think. It's always helpful.

Last edited:

stephenk

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I assumed people here would be interested in seeing close-up pics and sharing their opinion on models they may not have seen first hand, but the responses have been harsher than I expected.

I'm leaning towards the Eco Drake, as my girlfriend likes the idea of saving a little more water.

I guess the next step will be choosing a retailer. I don't know if I would get in trouble for posting links to online sellers, but there are several I've been looking at. I'll have to call the plumbing shops in nearby towns and see what they want for them, too.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I assumed people here would be interested in seeing close up pics and sharing their opinion on models they may not have seen first hand

I liked the pictures. I was surprised to see the bowl being different then the pictures on the box.
When I worked for a large plumbing company, we installed a lot of Norris and Mansfield. It wasn't until I discovered something better that I thought much about it. It was what everybody installed. I found plenty of plumbers that had been installing the brand for 30 years, mainly out of habit.
Thanks for the pictures!

stephenk

Reaction score
I guess I can offer a really long-term update on this, because about six months ago I did buy a Mansfield Summit and installed it in one of our bathrooms.

I now own the following toilets:
-Toto Drake II - made in the USA
-Mansfield Cascade rimless - made in Colombia
-Mansfield summit - made in the USA.

Yes, the Mansfield toilets are not quite as nice as the Toto when it comes to build quality, but they are a lot cheaper. They also don't flush quite as well as the Toto, but they both work very well.

Also, the Summit toilet kits now come with a pretty nice slow-close seat, which is a nice upgrade they've done recently.

So, long story short, some of the Mansfield hatred here is definitely overblown. The Summit and Cascade both work well. They aren't quite as nice overall as the Toto, but they were also less than half the price of the Toto. If you're looking for something that works well and is a little less pricey than Toto, then check out Mansfield. Avoid their cheap Alto series builder-grade toilets, but their better models are worth a look.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks