What’s your opinion of the build quality of this Mansfield Summit 3? -PICS-

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by stephenk, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Why didn't you get their $99 Toilet-In-A-Box? You seem to be shopping for cheap instead of quality.
  2. stephenk

stephenk New Member

:confused:

If you look a couple posts up you'll see my other two top choices are a Drake and Eco Drake. I think you may have misread some of the posts in this thread.

As I said, I wanted to try this Summit because it was USA made, but you all have convinced me to return it. I'm not looking for cheap, as the Summit actually wasn't that cheap. As you point out, I could have bought a $99 special and I didn't.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

SK: I think the other cult members will stop heckling you now that you have officially pledged allegiance and come Into The Fold. Having once been the victim of Good Marketing Of Bad Toilets, I can follow your logic. "Hey, on the box this looks like the same trapway as the other more expensive toilet, and it's made in the US!" Totally logical. Like my logic in buying a beautiful-but-horrible Kohler that matched the beautiful bathroom sink we installed. I subsequently hit it with a sledge and installed a Drake, but it took years because I figured if Kohler couldn't make a good 1.6gpf toilet, nobody could. The boys here set me straight.

We do have your best interests at heart. It's just a little Tough Love. I appreciate your dignified responses.

And I know you will love your purchase. Let us know the unvarnished truth of what you think. It's always helpful.
  4. stephenk

stephenk New Member

Thanks for the kind words. I assumed people here would be interested in seeing close-up pics and sharing their opinion on models they may not have seen first hand, but the responses have been harsher than I expected.

I'm leaning towards the Eco Drake, as my girlfriend likes the idea of saving a little more water.

I guess the next step will be choosing a retailer. I don't know if I would get in trouble for posting links to online sellers, but there are several I've been looking at. I'll have to call the plumbing shops in nearby towns and see what they want for them, too.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I liked the pictures. I was surprised to see the bowl being different then the pictures on the box.
    When I worked for a large plumbing company, we installed a lot of Norris and Mansfield. It wasn't until I discovered something better that I thought much about it. It was what everybody installed. I found plenty of plumbers that had been installing the brand for 30 years, mainly out of habit.
    Thanks for the pictures!