What type of Well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

P Farrow

Reaction score
I am wondering what type of well and pump I have. My well is 30 foot deep so I assume I have a deep well submersible pump since I don't have a pump above ground. I don't understand this extra PVC pipe with a gate valve on it. It comes from the top of the cap and then goes back into the ground. I am guessing it is for pressure relief or for watering lawns. It cant be the supply to the house because it stays closed because of the gate valve. The supply to the house should be in the well via the pitless adaptor right? I have searched for this configuration of well on the internet and coming up with nothing. Any info anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• well 2912.JPG
    well 2912.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 389

Reach4

Reaction score
We are talking about the well in the picture.

Either you are in a freeze-free area, or there needs to be way to drain the above ground water for winter. What is your winter climate situation?

You don't probably don't have a pitless; you have a well seal. It would be unusual to have both, but I guess it is possible. I presume that three wires go from the splices to a hole in the top of the well seal. So that would imply that you have a submersible pump.

I guess that thing you call a gate valve is the thing that is partially shown in the picture. Is the thing that you call an extra pipe the pipe that goes below ground in the picture? Maybe you might want to try a wider picture including the stuff that is cut off at the top of your photo if there is more stuff there. Then maybe show a closeup of what you think is a gate valve.

Your electrical splices should not be out in the open like that.

P Farrow

Reaction score
We are talking about the well in the picture.

Either you are in a freeze-free area, or there needs to be way to drain the above ground water for winter. What is your winter climate situation?

You don't probably don't have a pitless; you have a well seal. It would be unusual to have both, but I guess it is possible. I presume that three wires go from the splices to a hole in the top of the well seal. So that would imply that you have a submersible pump.

I guess that thing you call a gate valve is the thing that is partially shown in the picture. Is the thing that you call an extra pipe the pipe that goes below ground in the picture? Maybe you might want to try a wider picture including the stuff that is cut off at the top of your photo if there is more stuff there. Then maybe show a closeup of what you think is a gate valve.

Your electrical splices should not be out in the open like that.

I am in North Carolina Zone 7, middle of the state. We get freezes but they don't last more than a week.
Here is a better picture. Yes the thing I call an extra pipe is the one that goes below the ground in the picture.
The electrical splices and the well are covered with a well cover year round, I just took it off for the picture.

Attachments

• well2.JPG
    well2.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 415

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no pitless adapter for that set up. I don't see any gate valve ,it looks like a hose bib for a water sample. A threadless sampling tap was required at one time.
I think your well is deeper than 30 feet.

The tag on the well should have some good well info.

Last edited:

P Farrow

Reaction score
There is no pitless adapter for that set up. I don't see any gate valve ,it looks like a hose bib for a water sample. A threadless sampling tap was required at one time.
I think your well is deeper than 30 feet.

The tag on the well should have some good well info.
Sorry didn't mean to confuse, It is a hose bib, which is actually a type of gate valve. The tag on the well says casing is 63 foot and static water level is 30 foot. Also says depth of pump 30 foot.
When the valve is opened water comes out, it is normally closed. So there is no way that this could be the supply to the house. I have no idea how this thing is configured.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The supply to the house is the white pipe coming out the top of the well seal and then turning down and going into the ground. It goes under ground and comes up under the house.

I would look at that well tag more closely. That well is a lot deeper than you think and the pump is not going to be set at the static water level.

That is a drilled well. The casing goes from the surface down to bedrock. The casing is pressed into the top of the rock and then a hole is drilled into the rock and that is were the water comes from.

Last edited:

P Farrow

Reaction score
The supply to the house is the white pipe coming out the top of the well seal and then turning down and going into the ground. It goes under ground and comes up under the house.

I would look at that well tag more closely. That well is a lot deeper than you think.
That is what is stamped on the tag as far as I can see. Sometime a second pair of eyes helps. What do you think?

Attachments

• 100_4742.JPG
    100_4742.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 358

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does seem to read that way on the pump ID tag. I don't believe it though. What does the other tag say about the well. Take a close up of it.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are east of hwy 95 or there about, you might have a gravel pack well but if you are west of hwy 95 I would think you have a drilled well. If that is the case the well is going to be a lot deeper than 63 foot. Your county environmental health office might have information on your well and septic system. It would be worth giving them a call to see on Tuesday. ...
You should be able to find their number here:
http://ehs.ncpublichealth.com/docs/ehsdir2015.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks