What Type of Roofing is the Best Suitable and Long Lasting?

Users who are viewing this thread

E

emmawatson

I am planning to build a new house and many of my friends suggest about the different method of roofing. Now I am confused what type of roofing is the best suitable and long lasting..I want to know immediately about the good roofing..

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Slate roofing can last a century or more, but it'll cost you. Standing seam steel is good for more than 50 years, but it too will cost quite a bit

Not enough information- it's sort of like asking "What kind of bike is best?".

Getting to the right answer depends on climate and budget, the slope and general shape of the roof lines, etc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I were going to build a house, I'd probably consider an aluminum, Kynar (sp?) coated wood shake look tile. Course, the style of the house might dictate a different one. A friend installed this on a house half-way up a mountain where they got a lot of snow. Most of those tile have about 3/4" of an air gap underneath them and they work like a quite good radiant barrier. He said that night when he got home, the house was noticeably more comfortable. You do need to deal with snow management since once things start to melt, unless you've done things to prevent it, most of the snow can just literally avalanche off all at once. It may only take closing the front door! This type of stuff has been around for a long time. I read one report of a country club main building somewhere in Texas that had been done in 1927. They had the stuff analyzed some time in the 80's. The analysis said that based on current wear, it would last another 800-years or so! Compare that to 25-30 years if you're lucky with asphalt. Course, depends on how long you plan to stay in the place.

Joshua Pierce

Architect
Reaction score
You can use metal roofs. Low maintenance, light weight and more environmentally friendly. However, installation can be tricky and require a contractor with experience in installing. Metal shingles are also typically more expensive than other shingles.

Emily Clay

Reaction score
With such a less information, it's difficult to say which type of roofing is best suited to you. There are many factors to consider when selecting a roofing material as mentioned above by other guys. Factors such as the slope of the roof and the strength of the framing could limit your choices. Asphalt shingles are the most popular type of roofing for homes. It's better for cold weather and wind resistant. Plastic Polymer is another option whose durability claimed to be long lasting and low maintenance.

WoodenTent

Reaction score
If you are starting from scratch (new house), and you plan ahead, you can do just about anything. It's being constrained to existing house, and or market/regional design-taste that can make things hard and expensive.

I just got a new roof, planned for years during the remodel to do a standing seam metal roof. It's pretty much the best option for a pitched roof, and since my house is a hip roof, they look great. Problem is the hip design, with a kitchen and porch adding secondary projections, and a chimney cricket all added up to there being lots of angles, 2 big valleys, which sends the price way up. In general standing seam might be said to be 25-50% more than high end shingle roof, mine was going to be over 3x, and that was with all the sheeting, ice&water over entire roof and so forth factors in for both, it was just the covering. At the same time if my house was just a simple rectangle with a gable roof, a standing seam could have been cheap, and even cheaper possibly than shingles. The shape and complexity are a very big driver. Also if I had done metal, the irregularities of my house would have caused nightmares. In the end I had to do singles, even though I hate them and would like to see them banned from building code (fire hazard, short life, fill up landfills, etc, etc). Until they ban them in code, they will stay the cheap common option as people and culture won't change to other options.

Tile, Slate, and such are also good, but have the same challenges as metal (cost, un-common, hard to find contractors).

But if your designing from scratch, you can design the roof to make the roof materials practical. Think outside of just a peak, you could do a single large shed roof, that keeps the design simple which makes the install cost on better materials much cheaper. Also not doing things like dormers will reduce cost all around. Getting vent pipes to all one single vent pipe will also help. I did this because the house was planned for metal, so the only thing that goes thru my roof now is a single vent pipe, made the roofers happy, but since I ended up with shingles it didn't matter as much.

Me, if I was building from scratch, the whole house would be concrete, so the house would have a flat roof make with pre-cast core slabs of concrete, with a top layer of concrete, and then a green roof (plants) put on top of that. Good to go for a few centuries. Outside of flat/concrete roof structure, I'd go standing seam pitched south at the correct pitch for solar. Maximize for that, the roof will last forever and installation of solar arrays is much easier/cheaper on standing seam as your house now has a built in roof rack for them.

Just don't make roofs with tons of features and 1000 sq ft of surface all pooring down into a single gutter 2 feet long and the center of the house like so many houses done today, just going to be a problem. You can't win in a fight against water, so focus on water management on a roof to prevent the house from having perpetual problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks