What type of pump to get? Jet or Irrigation?

Users who are viewing this thread

1jackw

Reaction score
I have a 15 foot shallow well. I had a Craftsman 1HP jet pump with a separate pressure tank that worked fine to water my lawn with a sprinkler, but the pump no longer works. I am looking to buy a new pump and also have a sprinkler system installed in my 3/4 acre property. Unfortunately I do not know how many GPM the old pump pulled, but it was always enough water for my needs.

I was originally looking at buying the Myers 1HP HJ100S, but the more I read about pumps, the more questions I have. What about a centrifugal pump, also called a sprinkler or irrigation pump, such as the Myers 1.5HP QP-15? At 30 PSI and 15ft, the jet pump draws 21GPM and the irrigation pump draws 55GPM. Can that be right? At the surface, it would seem I should get the irrigation pump since it's cheaper and draws a lot more water. Am I missing something?

Is there another name I should look at besides Myers, or is that considered a good name with a good motor?

Thanks for any input.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's forums 1jackw,

Normally, A Jet pump will give you more pressure, The irrigation pump will give you more volume.

Enjoy your day.

DonL

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A centrifugal probably won't build enough pressure to work with a pressure switch and presure tank. Stay with the jet pump. There are lots of good brands. Flint and Wallings, Goulds. Myers is a Pentair product that is sold under lots of other names,, Sta-Rite, Berkeley, etc.

Gritres

Reaction score
if you don't have a relay switch or a wire for one you'll want to stick with your tank and jet pump probably.

DonL

Reaction score
The parts for the Craftsman 1HP jet pump may still be available, If you want to repair the old pump.

But the recommendations that valveman makes are good ones.

The Craftsman 1HP jet pumps were made by Flotec, back when they made good Iron pumps, not plastic crap.

Enjoy your project.

DonL

1jackw

Reaction score
I'll tell you what happened to the Craftsman, and maybe someone can diagnose. The hose connecting the pump to the tank came loose when no one was around, and the pump turned on. Since the output valve was shut, the water inside the pump heated up and was practically boiling when I discovered it. After everything cooled down, the pump started and drew water, but the pressure won't rise above 15 PSI. I took the pump apart, but nothing looked melted/fried. Any idea what would need to be replaced, or am I just better off getting a new pump?

DonL

Reaction score
It may be that your jet is clogged.

Did you check the jet ? What is the model ?

Have a good day.

DonL

DonL

Reaction score
Here is a link to the pump:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...01&srccode=cii_18492716&cpncode=00-23008130-2

I don't think I checked the jet for a blockage. I guess I thought since it overheated so much, there would be some internal damage to the pump. I'm actually away for the weekend, so I will check asap when I get home.

Thanks for the ideas.

I would check the jet, and make sure that the Pressure regulator valve is adjusted properly.

Could be a easy fix.

Enjoy your Holiday.

DonL

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Stay with a Jet Pump. Pumps don't build pressure. Most likely the Jet assembly is plugged. When the pump overheated most likely a particle of rust broke off and plugged the nozzle in the jet assembly. Remove the jet assembly and clean it out and you'll have pressure again. If possible stay with your old pump, It will last longer than a new pump!

1jackw

Reaction score
I took the jet assembly apart and a little piece of 'something' came out. I put it back together and could not draw water. I replaced the jet assembly with a brand new one, and still can't get water. At this point should I bite the bullet and get a new pump, or try replacing something else in the pump?

DonL

Reaction score
Were You able to get the pump primed ?

Did the pump stay full of water while priming ?

Did you also replace the foot Valve ?

DonL

1jackw

Reaction score
I wasn't able to get the pump primed. The pump did stay full of water, but never pulled water from the well. It does sound a little quieter, so maybe something was damaged and it's not operating at the same capacity?

I did not replace the foot valve. Honestly, that's the last thing I'd ever want to try as I'd be afraid I'd never get the piping back down again without renting equipment. Also, since the pump overheated, I would think that is likely the problem.

I definitely don't have wads of cash lying around, but at this point, I think my best bet is to get a new pump. The guy who's going to install my sprinkler system is a friend of a friend. He only sells and services top of the line pumps, but will drop off a 1HP Sta-Rite for $420 if I want to install it myself. If I buy from him and there's an issue, he will take it back, and I don't need to pay for shipping or restocking like places online.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks