What type of home insulation should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by eastinway, Jan 23, 2009.

1. eastinway

eastinway New Member

Hi folks,

I would appreciate advise on what type of home insulation I should buy. I'm concerned about breathing in chemicals contained in foam insulation. What would be the most economical way to go.

Also, can I insulate my garage. It is built into the home and I have a bedroom that sits directly on top of the garage which is always cold.....

:)Thank you
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The only gotchas in a garage are that the walls and ceilings between it and living space must have an approved fire barrier, typically 5/8" fire rated drywall is used (and a fire rated door into living space). So, depends on what is there now.
  3. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

The most economical way would be to used fiberglass insulation. The best way would be to use foam. It's my understanding that foam insulation isn't DYI type project.

Yes you can insulate a garage.

Tom
  4. eastinway

eastinway New Member

Is foam insulation safe....

Thanks Jad and S for your replies.....

Just wondering is foam insulation safe?
  5. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

The early/first foams had outgassing issues (toxic fumes long after install), and could burn. But nowadays those issues have been taken care of.

Not very safe for your bank account balance, though.