What type of fitting is this, and what should I replace it with (underground water line)

Users who are viewing this thread

mxmaniac

Reaction score
I need to replace my water line. It has had multiple leaks, and right now I has a nice 1/8" gaping crack going 1/3 of the way through. The only thing keeping the water in is a piece of rubber tightened around it with some hose clamps.

It is 1" HDPE (I believe, haven't actually measured), and I plan to replace with the same. However on the water meter, there is this strange fitting. It just looks like a big rusty blob. Anyone know what it is, and what I should replace it with?

One thing to note. I do want to change the direction of the pipe 90 degrees, because right now it goes under a very large tree, and I will need to make it snake around the tree. Is there a good fitting I can use to attach directly to the water meter, replacing that rust ball fitting, which will be a 90 degree fitting, and join to an HDPE pipe?

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The blob needs to go. It's a 3/4 by something that upsizes to 1" HDPE, probably by way of an IPS by barb fitting.

The brass union attached to the water meter is available off the shelf at some HD stores. You could save the existing part, or just trash it and go with a new one to save a little bit of work. Anyway, a brass elbow on the union will make the turn for you, then use whatever you need to transition to the plastic; maybe an increaser or 3/4 X 1" elbow and a barbed fitting of the proper size.

There are barbed 90degree fittings if you're not moving the HDPE right at the meter.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, 3/4" male thread off the meter, which needs a female and then whatever you need to go barbed to the poly.
Don't let the guy in the HD isle talk you into galvanized fittings. Plumbers don't use galvanized on water lines.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your existing water line may be polybutylene based on the appearance. The fact that you have had multiple leaks seems to confirm it IMO. Search for that term in your favorite search engine.

It looks like your pipe goes through a little concrete wall. That might be worth some extra attention, such as feeding the new polyethylene through a bigger pipe in that area that will act as a conduit to prevent abrasion? Maybe that is overkill, since there will not be observable movement. But I would make the hole in the concrete big enough anyway.

mxmaniac

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I actually found some 90 degree water meter couplings (no luck at the hardware stores), however I'm totally stumped trying to find the proper fitting to go from the male threaded connection that all water meter couplings seem to have, to the barbed poly fitting. I've looked at the hardware stores and online but can't find the right one.

This seems so strange, because I know both water meters and poly pipe are very common. I don't know why its so hard to find a fitting to go from the water meter to poly pipe unless I'm just totally searching wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHo

Reaction score
Is this what your looking for?

brass-barbed-female-adapter-f49.jpg

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/barb.html#100

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks