What Type Of Drain Pipe Is This & What 90 to Use

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Hammerlane, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

Take a look at the photos. This drain is to pick up water in a kind of swale and direct it out the other end of the patio. What type of pipe is this and what type of 90 do I need to get it to grade level after I backfill around patio. The OD of the pipe is about 4 & 3/16 inches

Attached Files:

• 333.jpg
      333.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
    • 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      49.5 KB
      Views:
    • 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      43.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. wallskev

wallskev New Member

3. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

Thanks. Looks like a brand from Hancor carried at one of the local box stores. Here is a more close up. I will need a snap 90 and then a surface inlet cover

Attached Files:

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is probably S&D size, (4" i.d. and 4 3/16" o.d.), which uses "special fittings" or bushings with sch. 40 fittings. If that is what it is, HD has the fittings in the "yard drainage" area, NOT with the plumbing fittings.
  5. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

hj you are correct. I picked this up. Will PVC glue be compatible with the fitting and the pipe?

Attached Files:

• nds.JPG
      nds.JPG
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You pose an interesting question. Perhaps one of the pros can supply a better answer, but as I read the information about this material, it does not say that it is PVC. PVC will fit, but the question of "gluing" remains unclear at least to me. So-called PVC cement or glue is neither cement nor glue. It is a solvent that liquifies the surfaces of PVC pipe and PVC fittings briefly so when the surfaces are joined, the liquified surfaces join and form what is called a solvent weld. It is somewhat akin to welding metal. However, since the pipe is apparently not PVC, I seriously question the use of PVC solvent to join the pipe with PVC fittings. There is almost certainly some product that will do the job, and it is likely available where ever you buy the pipe.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It is polyethylene. Almost NO type of glue or solvent cement sticks to it.
  8. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

Since the 90 will be mostly covered with dirt/gravel, I will most likely get a stainless band clamp and put that around the hub of the 90 and compression fit it. I mean its not under pressure so that should be good enought to keep the pieces from separating.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That type of pipe is often installed as a 'press fit" installation without glue.