What type of drain below hot water heater

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by spresco, Jan 13, 2009.

1. spresco

spresco New Member

What type of drain should be used below a hot water heater? A standard p-trap below the floor would have a tendency to evaporate out allowing sewer gasses in so what type is usually used?
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

If you want to do it correctly, then a p-trap is mandatory, but you also need to use a trap primer to keep that p-trap primed.

Some codes will actually allow the homeowner to forgo the use of a trap primer so long as they manually fill the trap from time to time, but that is not exactly a reliable method since the homeowner will quickly forget all about it.
  3. ArtM

ArtM Junior Member

Fill the trap with mineral oil. It won't evaporate out like the water will.
  4. Ladiesman271

Ladiesman271 Homeowner

I don't have a floor drain in my basement for my water heater or anything else. The sewer pipe outlet is a few feet higher than the basement floor level, so it impossible to use one in my basement anyhow!