What type indirect water heater?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mitchedo, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mitchedo

mitchedo New Member

My Amtrol water heater blew up yesterday, so I need to replace it. It was probably 20 years old or so. The Amtrol has a plastic liner with what appears to be painted mild steel outer case, and a grand total of about 3/8" of what looks like cardboard insulation (model WH7P). Looking online, most of what I see are dual stainless steel heaters or ceramic coated something or others, and 2-3" of insulation.

I'm inclined to get one of the stainless steel heaters to replace it. It just seems that 316L stainless should last a good long time.

So, any advice for me? What should I be looking for? They all seem to be priced in the $1000-$1500 range.

Also, it seems this model has a limited lifetime warranty of some sort. The previous owners of the house bought it, and it blew out the side, so I'm assuming I don't have any warranty.

Thanks,
    Doug
  2. what size unit??

you say its an Amtrol, but not what size or wattage

it uses

what exactly does it supply hot water for ??
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Superstore gets some references when I asked at the supply store.
  4. mitchedo

mitchedo New Member

It's 41 gallons. Its heat source is hot water from our boiler. It makes hot water for our house. I think it's the one on the far left in the photo.

[​IMG]