What tub did YOU install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kali2024

Reaction score
Hi, we're remodeling our bathroom and I'm stuck on deciding what kind of tub to get, as in a plain old 60 x 32" soaker tub.

• I like the cast iron but they're not tall enough and am concerned about reinforcing the floor.

• Acrylics are high enough but I'm worried about them squeaking/cracking. Also how the hell can a plastic tub thats a bit more than .125" thick hold that much water without the sides bowing out?

I've decided to go with either the kohler portrait (acrylic) or mendota (cast iron). That being said,
What did you install?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly installed tub spreads its load out over a fairly large area, so if the floor is up to specs, reinforcment probably isn't needed. Homes are generally built for at least a 40#/sq ft load. Now, if when they did the plumbing, the chopped through joists against code, it could be an issue. The bigger weight is that a larger tub will hold more water.

Also, ideally, and to provide the longest, reliable life without hassles, it's good to set the tub in something like mortar, which supports it well, and prevents flex (not necessary on CI, but good to even out the load) and prevents those squeaks.

When I remodeled my MB, I used a tub from www.jasoninternational.com. This is one of the son's of Jacuzzi, that broke off and started his own company. While most of the tubs are listed as air or water jet, they can also be ordered as plain soakers.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
American Standard makes an Americast "60x30 that is 19.5" tall. That's a porcelain steel tub with backing.
A good quailty tub like Maax Acrylic are stiff enough.
Any of the cast iron tubs are good, the Kohler Mendota is very nice. That's always been one of my favorites.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
We're looking into a new tub as ours is getting old and just wont' clean up well any more. It is a cast iron solid tub but we are redoing our bathroom and just feel a new one is in order. I was looking at acrylic but how easy does that scratch? Are they as durable? I have looked at the ones suggested above and like the look of the Kohler but it is the Kohler Archer. Is that a good one? I wish this were easier but it is a pretty permanent thing, so it better be good also.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
CI is and probably always will be the most durable. Acrylic requires some care - minimizing tracked in sand, only using non-abrasive cleaners (best for CI as well). Either can last a long time, if proper care is taken.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
With the huge range of styles and configurations available....acrylic tubs are the only way to go. So long as they are installed in a proper mortar bed, they will feel just as solid as cast iron.

Arfeller

Reaction score
We recently remodeled our bathroom and installed a Kohler cast iron tub named "Tea-for-two" 5.5' tub. It's 24" deep and makes a great soaking tub. Could not be happier

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Many of the tubs these days have a nice slope on the back side. But, this can considerably shorten the useable area. Many of the older styles were nearly straight up and down, and uncomfortable to try to lay down in. Many of those designs have a large amount of area underneath to allow the same design to be used with either an air tub or jetted tub. So, depending on how tall you are, a longer one is always nicer if you really want to soak. I went with a 6' tub, but really would have liked to be able to stretch out in say a 6.5 or 7' tub!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks