What toilet do I need to push solids about 15ft to pass a joint in pvc sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Nolan Sr

Dan Nolan
Reaction score
Since moving into our latest home, our 2009 Kohler 2 piece toilet (31117173-6-A) has backed up and overflowed twice inside 4mos. My standard drain snake no good, had to call real plumbers. First one took several hours(make that dollars) and said if re-occurs, next time bring a camera.

Next time they found evidence of accumulation near a joint about 15 ft from this toilet. (Note all other fixtures in house including 2nd bath, drain perfectly). this plumber says I have some standing water in front of this joint and can only correct problem by jack hammering concrete floor in the dining room to get at it for repair.

Our 2009 Kohler toilet with a sticky complicated flush valve (#1117210) has been worked on several times before and should be replaced . It also says on bowl its a 1.6 GPF but inside the tank is stamped 1.28GPF. One thing I know, it hardly flushes at all. So, I'm hoping to correct the back up problem with a stronger flushing toilet. Question: will a TOTO 2pc 1.6GPF model help? Or should I consider an Assisted flush toilet? What would you recommend besides tearing up the floor?

Thanks for your advise,
Dan Nolan
Deland Florida

Reach4

Reaction score
this plumber says I have some standing water in front of this joint

That does not sound like a description of a soil pipe blockage that would cause a toilet overflow. I suspect that replacing the toilet with one with a modern smooth trapway would stop your blockages.
My standard drain snake no good, had to call real plumbers.
Tell us more. Are you saying that the snake went in less than 2 feet, or that it went either to its limit or 15 feet but that snake was unable to clear the the blockage? The reason that I ask is that I think a snake would be less likely to get blocked going through a better trapway.

I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

Dan Nolan Sr

Dan Nolan
Reaction score
That does not sound like a description of a soil pipe blockage that would cause a toilet overflow. I suspect that replacing the toilet with one with a modern smooth trapway would stop your blockages.

Tell us more. Are you saying that the snake went in less than 2 feet, or that it went either to its limit or 15 feet but that snake was unable to clear the the blockage? The reason that I ask is that I think a snake would not get snagged up going through a smooth trapway.

I am not a plumber.

First time, I used a hand operated 25 ft snake which did no good. Had to call licensed plumber who couldnt reach it through the roof vent because complicated venting system and wound up removing the toilet to reach the blockage. He really didn't want me to see how he cleared it but told me there definitely was a blockage and if it happened again to get somone else with a sewer camera.
4mos later thats what I did. In between these calls the toilet flush valve was acting up and not setting right, sometimes getting so hung up I had to re-seat by hand and turn the water off to prevent over flow. So now I'm gonna start tackling the problem by replacing the toilet. I'm looking for one thats got the strongest flush for residential use. We have a Toto 2 pc 1.6gpf in other bath which works great.Don't know what model.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Good luck with a "Stronger flush" because once the water leaves the toilet they are all basically the same, because gravity takes over to move the water down the pipe. First you have to determine WHERE the stoppage is occurring, and I am not sure either of those plumbers know that.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replacing the Kohlers with Totos would be great, but the toilet is not the problem. Every drain relies on gravity, there is no powerful push. When you flush, the water enters the drain and gravity takes over. Clogged drains are best handled by a professional with professional equipment, you have been that route, but I suspect this pro was not fully equipped to really do the job. Drains should be cleared clear to the main sewer, not just to the clog. A camera inspection might be a wise next step.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There should never be standing water in a drain line. FOr that to happen, there either has to be a blockage, or a dip or belly in the line. The only way to overcome that problem is to tear things up unless you can fix a blockage with a snake, and make the drain line have a constant pitch (well, it can change, as long as it is always downward!). A new toilet won't help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Will a modern elongated toilet overflow on a single flush? I was thinking the bowl would normally hold more than what a flush provides.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Will a modern elongated toilet overflow on a single flush? I was thinking the bowl would normally hold more than what a flush provides.
Generally, no, unless you continue to flush it repeated resulting in you filling the pipe faster than it can seep past the partial clog.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Generally, no, unless you continue to flush it repeatedly, resulting in you filling the pipe faster than it can seep past the partial clog.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many modern toilets with a 3" flush valve will work much better than the 2009 bowl that you have now.
Getting the 1.6 2-piece TOTO would be a big improvement.

If you really want to scoot it down the line, pick up a Kohler Highline with Flushmate.
The pressure assist does very well on drain line carry.

highline-pa-ken.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Nolan Sr

Dan Nolan
Reaction score
Many modern toilets with a 3" flush valve will work much better than the 2009 bowl that you have now.
Getting the 1.6 2-piece TOTO would be a big improvement.

If you really want to scoot it down the line, pick up a Kohler Highline with Flushmate.
The pressure assist does very well on drain line carry.

Thanks Terry, only question I have is how well to the pressure assisted toilets hold up before needing service/ replacement parts and what the cost will be when that happens? I hear the flush is quite loud as well. I really appreciate everyone's input!
Dan

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I'm sure you've run into a pressure assisted toilet somewhere...they are louder than a gravity flush toilet, pressing the handle down takes a bit more force on most, as well. The parts can be replaced and certain bits can be rebuilt, but they're harder to find and more expensive than conventional bits for most gravity flush toilets. A good gravity flush toilet with a siphon jet gets a decent push on the stuff. Just like running your hose out onto the driveway...once it's out of the end of the hose, things slow down considerably, so the difference between the two isn't really all that great. If the slope and smoothness of the existing drain pipes is at issue, no toilet may work well. A pressure assisted toilet is not a pump, and won't flow stuff uphill...your drains rely on gravity.

15' of 4" drain pipe could hold nearly 10-gallons, if full. A modern toilet cannot use more than 1.6g, and if the pipe is full, it just won't flush well at all, nor push much through a belly or dip in the pipe, or through a partial clog.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks