What to put on the window ledge??

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I got a new window a while back. I am going to put sheetrock around the interior. The question I have about this is what do I put for the base or ledge of the window. Some carpenter told me to put 1/2 or 3/4 " plywood instead of sheetrock and texture it like the rest with corner bead and such. I am not sure if that is right or would plain old sheetrock be the right way to go? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer fir for the window ledge.
But you don't want drywall, any moisture there and it's not going to hold up well.

A table saw is a must for cutting the wood to the right width.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I use oak varnished with a quality exterior varnish to resist moistire and UV on the inside.

Some things you will need to think about before you buy the wood are:

1) the depth of the wood. You do not want to come up too short but can get away with an overhang of a few inches.

2) the width of the wood. Too thick and there is a drop before the window frame.

I use screws to attach the very ends of the sills to the lower header. The drywall on the sides of the opening then covers the screws.

Last edited:

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I am going with a contemporary modern look and stained wood just won't work in this situation. I will be mudding the sheetrock and maybe use an orange peel texture. I have some 1/2" pine or fir not sure which that I could use to match the thickness of the sheetrock.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks