what to do with old toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

oldanbo

Reaction score
I live on the Olympic penninsula and replaced my kohler with a toto. I have been trying to "recycle" the old one with no luck. It's a perfectly fine toilet, we needed to change to the ADA height bowl of the toto.

I told my wife that I was going to turn it into a planter and site it over the d-box of my septic system. She nixed that idea, something about not having a toilet in her front yard. go figure. :eek:

I open to good tips or ideas and thanks in advance.
Dan

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
oldanbo said:
I live on the Olympic penninsula and replaced my kohler with a toto. I have been trying to "recycle" the old one with no luck. It's a perfectly fine toilet, we needed to change to the ADA height bowl of the toto.

I told my wife that I was going to turn it into a planter and site it over the d-box of my septic system. She nixed that idea, something about not having a toilet in her front yard. go figure. :eek:

I open to good tips or ideas and thanks in advance.
Dan

I'll bet the local Habitat for Humanity will know someone who could use it.

http://www.habitat.org/local/affiliate_detail.asp?affiliate=1107-6373

Clallam County HFH
PO Box 1957
Sequim, WA 98382-1957

Phone: (360) 681-6780
Fax: (360) 681-6780
E-mail: dvhfh@olypen.com

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the problem you will have is these not longer meet code. Therefore, no one installing a toilet where the plumbing will be inspected can use it. You might have some luck running an ad in the local advertising publication (Thrify Nickle, Wooden Nickle, Penny Press, etc..) Maybe if you or a friend is having a yard sale, but don't expect too much for it even though it may very well be a very functional toilet. The planter is the easy way out. ;)

oldanbo

Reaction score
thanks

for the ideas, I'll give Habitat a call. I think the toilet meets code as it is a low flow.

thanks again :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry, I assumed it was an old high volume unit. If Habitat doesn't work out, then it might very well sell for a reasonable price, advertising as I mentioned in early post.

oldanbo

Reaction score
thanks Gary

for the idea. maybe I'll just place an ad in the freebies section of the paper.
I'm not looking to get any money for it, I'd just like it to find a good home. :D

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
FWIW, a friend here put an old toilet like that out on the curb, with a "FREE" sign on it. I stayed there for a couple of weeks. He then changed the sign to "$25" and a guy bought it that day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks