what to do with my well???

Users who are viewing this thread

wellgirl

Reaction score
Just a little info to start, I brought this house a few years back as a repo so I was given no info as to how or when this well was put in. I have since found out it is a bored well dug in 1992 at approx 50 ft deep. I have very little knowledge about wells, as had city water till this home.

I believe that I run the well dry a few weeks back, had little water but lots of sand coming into the house. Didn't worry to much as I was going away for a few weeks thought it would come back while i was gone. When I came home had water for about 20 mins, someone told me to drop a truck load of water into the well to maybe move any blockages. So I did, also told to go prime my pump which is located about 40 ft from the well in the basment of my house. I have 2 lines that go out from the basement the run to the well underground, you can look down my well about 12 ft and you do not see these lines. I cannot get the pump to take a prime. Not sure what to do to fix it, it was said to me that maybe the foot valve is no good but if thats the problem how to I access the foot valve? Is it ok to pull both lines up inside the house or do I need someone to dig up outside around the well to access these line?

I am hoping that there is a standard way that this system is installed and that someone out there can tell me what kind of parts were used in this type of well. There is no well service person in my town for me to call the closest is a couple hours away and just to get him to look is $500. Any help would be great.

Thanks

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums.

What Model of pump do you have ?

Is the pump running all of the time ?

You could have a leak on the suction line.

It is a bit hard to tell from here.

What fun it is to own a repo.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does it freeze where you are? I think you are saying that you see the well casing above ground, but you do not see the two pipes that you see at the pump area. What diameter is your well casing? There may be be a "pitless adapter" below the frost line in the well casing. Maybe you have something else.

wellgirl

Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums.

What Model of pump do you have ?

Is the pump running all of the time ?

You could have a leak on the suction line.

It is a bit hard to tell from here.

What fun it is to own a repo.

Not sure what model the pump is, I have uploaded a pic hopefully it works. I am currently away from the property so I can't check. The pump is not running at all right now as I can'tget it to take in any water, don't to burn it up. When I pulled the plug to prime it I could hear the water just running back to the pump. I had never had any problems till recently when I run the well dry.

wellgirl

Reaction score
Does it freeze where you are? I think you are saying that you see the well casing above ground, but you do not see the two pipes that you see at the pump area. What diameter is your well casing? There may be be a "pitless adapter" below the frost line in the well casing. Maybe you have something else.

Yes it gets very cold her in the winter -40C I live in Northern Canada lol The well casing is similar to a steel colvert about 4ft in diameter, about 10 ft down there is a smaller hole about half the size. I looks like there sure be a cap on it be it was remove and is kinda off to the side. My best guess it the the lines coming from the house are buried underground beacuse of the cold weather we get.
I am assuming that the lines were meant to be pulled back into the house for repairs but it makes me a little nervous not knowing for sure if this is the case

wellgirl

Reaction score
October 25, 2010 073.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Yes it gets very cold her in the winter -40C I live in Northern Canada lol The well casing is similar to a steel colvert about 4ft in diameter, about 10 ft down there is a smaller hole about half the size. I looks like there sure be a cap on it be it was remove and is kinda off to the side. My best guess it the the lines coming from the house are buried underground beacuse of the cold weather we get.
I am assuming that the lines were meant to be pulled back into the house for repairs but it makes me a little nervous not knowing for sure if this is the case

It may be a busted pipe, or your Jet / foot valve needs replaced.

You may need a Pro to help you.

Good Luck on your project.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the foot valve has gone bad, but if the same guy did the piping in the well that did the pump, there maybe a rotted galvanized adapter at the jet assembly.

Suggestion. Replace all the galvanized fittings with brass or nylon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks