What to do with leaky Mansfield flush valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

_edgewood_

Reaction score
I took the top off the tank in my guest bath to fix a tank-to-bowl slow leak. I thought I was going to find a flapper or seal that needed to be replaced. What I found was a new (to me) flush arrangement, what I subsequently determined to be a Mansfield flush valve.

After watching a few Youtube repair videos and finding http://www.mansfieldparts.com/, I think I'm going to be able to find the model number and get replacement parts. It looks like replacing the flush valve, seal, and probably the fill valve while I'm in there, will all be within the reach of my skill set.

My question is whether it is possible to replace the Mansfield flush valve with the more standard flapper valve, and if so, whether I should. I've done fill valve and flapper replacements, but never anything that's required me to unbolt the tank.

_edgewood_

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, having a part number will be very helpful if I decide that changing the type of flush valve is what I want to do.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should? It doesn't look like there's a lot of love for Mansfield valves on the net, but I've been in my house over 5 years, so the current valve has lasted at least that long.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can pick up a new seal at a hardware store and replace just the disc.
Or you can get a Fluidmaster tank rebuild kit and replace the flush valve.
The Mansfield 160 Alto was installed in many new homes.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Aren't you looking for this seal? http://tt.korky.com/product-details.php?product=flapper&num=427

427BP_in.png

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are two different Mansfield seals depending on which flush valve you have. There is no need to replace the entire flush valve unless you like doing needless work.

_edgewood_

Reaction score
Since no one chimed in with reasons to replace it with a flapper, I got a replacement seal and will see if it stops the leak. Thanks to all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks