What solvent/cleaner to remove duct tape adhesive from acrylic tub?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by chassis, Nov 10, 2007.

1. chassis

chassis Engineer

I foolishly used duct tape to secure a drop cloth while installing mud walls in my tub alcove. The tape left some adhesive goo. What solvent or cleaner can I used that won't damage the acrylic finish?

I'm a big fan of Goof-Off, but this is the chemical xylene, which I think is a solvent for acrylic and would damage the tub. In my arsenal I also have mineral spirits, turpentine and acetone. HD/Lowe's is not far so I can run out and get something else if needed.
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Goo Gone. Citris-based and won't harm the finish.

Attached Files:

3. chassis

chassis Engineer

Verdeboy,

Thanks, it worked. Not real aggressive stuff, but it works.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

My favorite solvent cleaner is Zippo lighter fluid...( the yellow plastic bottle.) I keep several around the house and the truck.
  5. chassis

chassis Engineer

Thanks jimbo. I looked it up and seems like lighter fluid is naptha. Will it damage the acrylic tub finish? Something else to add to my selection of solvents.
  6. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

As long as you're adding to the arsenal... acetone.
  7. chassis

chassis Engineer

frenchie,

Thanks. Yep I'm a fan of acetone (for cleaning tasks), and have a can sitting in the garage.
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The goo gone and the Zippo are safe for most surfaces, including most plastics and finished wood surfaces. NOT true for acetone!
  9. I use my wife's nail polish remover (acetone) on surfaces that I don't care about, but I also use Goo Gone and Oops!, which are basically similar citrus-based stuff, for tub/shower and sink surfaces.
    Goo Gone will even instantly remove clear silicone caulk off of your hands better than gasoline, which is what I used to use years ago.
    That stuff is amazing.
    Mike
  10. Jackie07

Jackie07 New Member

Cooking oil will break down adhesives and allow them to be removed from a surface without harming it so long as it is a non-porous surface.
  11. steelwire

steelwire Guest

Thanks jimbo. I looked it up and seems like lighter fluid is naptha. Will it damage the acrylic tub finish? Something else to add to my selection of solvents. stainless steel pipe stainless steel wire
  12. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Lighter fluid works good used it for years helps finish out silicon caulk.Will not harm any surface.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007