What size threads are used on drain valve (Rheem Fury elec. WH)

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I saw this brass full-port valve (picture) on another post here. Can anyone tell me where can I get this valve and what size threads are used (i.e. 3/4"NPT)?

Also, how long does the valve need to be (on the plastic drain it looks to be about 4" long, to bend).

I have a Rheem Fury 83VR66-2 (it has the plastic drain valve).

water_heater_drains.jpg

Is there a good web-site for this kind of stuff that you "plumbers" like to buy from? I would prefer to have all the parts on hand before disassembly - which is why I ask now rather than taking it apart and measuring for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's all standard 3/4" threading.
I haven't seen the new brass drains for sale yet. Maybe you can get them.
I carry brass nipples on the van, and sometimes use a ball valve. You still need to convert to hose threads though.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I buy the long shank brass drain valve from my plumbing supplier.
It's nothing more than a hose bib on a nipple (usually 2-1/2" long).
Price: around $5.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
On my heater, I used a 4" brass nipple then a ball valve. Because I drain into a basin with a floor drain, I did not add a hose adapter, but have an elbow to direct the flow downward. The hose adapter would be quite simple if desired or needed. Love quarter turn valves!

Reach4

Reaction score
With a nipple, and maybe a full-flow ball valve, you could stick a wand inside to wash things out. Then you need to catch the water and debris somehow. I have wondered about sticking the wand of an electric pressure washer into the water heater, but I cannot be confident it would not damage something. I pulled my anode out to spray water into that hole, but I did not try a pressure washer. Alternately turning on and off the supply water was good, but I think alternating with my alternate method helped.

I used a 4 inch schedule 80 CPVC nipple. Brass would have been better probably so near to the heat source. No sign of failures so far, but something like that would not fail gradually.. I am thinking I could have used a 2 inch nipple.

That water heater had accumulated some impressive stuff in the years before I put my filtering in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks