What size Fleck 5600

Users who are viewing this thread

tj33

Reaction score
I'm getting confusing answers regarding the sizing of the water softener I would like to purchase. According to most calculations a Fleck 5600 sxt 32,000 grain / 1 cu. foot model will give me lots of capacity but there seems to be a tendency to upsize to a 48,000 / 1.5 cu. foot model. I'm not concerned about the added cost just efficiency.

Here's my requirements, 2 middle aged adults (no kids living with us now), 1 bath/shower, 2 toilets, washer, dishwasher - all high efficiency. Checked the water bills and our average total usage is around 100 gal per day. Water is pretty hard @ 19 gpg but there’s no iron and we’re on a municipal well system that serves about 1500 hundred people hence the water is treated with chlorine. According to my calculations
I‘m getting about 10 gpm flow rate. Also the outdoor connections will be bypassed.

Any Ideas?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my book you are walking a line between the capacity of the unit and the flow rate of the unit needed ..
The 1 cubic with a 6lbs setting would do 20k or with the 19grain and 2 people 900gallons on the setting with flow rate of 6gpm and peak of 9gpm.
The 1.5 cubic with 9lbs setting would do 30k or with the 19grain and 2 people 1400gallons on the setting with a flow rate of 9gpm and peak of 11gpm..
Either will work for what you have now, but if there are going to be more people or sell the place to a large family the 1.5 would be better.
Just my thoughts on the matter.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I would go with the 1.5 also given your hardness and water use.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
There would be no disadvatage to using the 1.5 Cubic foot softener. Set it at 6 pounds per cubic foot and you will maintain a very efficient unit. I rarely sell 1 cubic foot units since they cost nearly the same. I am the manager of a major OEM water systems distribution company and we assemble 80% of our units as 1.5 cubic foot system. 50% more capacity for very little additional cost, definetly worth it. It will also allow the next user to maintain efficiency if they have a larger family, or if your hardness or water use goes up in the future.

tj33

Reaction score
Thank-you for your advice and opinion's. I am about to order the 1.5 cubic foot softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks