What should I be hearing & how often from my well?

Users who are viewing this thread

BatesOKC

Reaction score
We moved into a home on a water well a couple of years ago. I have very little experience with these (as in zero).

The other day I was messing around the well in the front yard and realized I could hear some mechanical noise coming from it. Nothing real loud, and you have to be within a foot or two, but it was quiet outside, so I noticed it. I removed the plastic cap from the well to confirm and the noise was of course more noticeable with the cap removed. To me, it sounds identical to the sound of a babies heart beat in the womb when we'd listen to it at the doctor. Very rhythmic with an air flow sound.

I assumed I probably just never noticed it before and since the sprinklers were going I thought everything was fine.

However, this morning I checked and I can still hear the noise and no water is running on the property.

Is this normal and I'm being paranoid or do I need a service call?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
With no water being used, look at your pressure gauge. Then look at it a half hour later. Does it stay the same, or drop.

If it drops, that will explain things. If it rose, the pump went on during that interval. How often does the pump run with no water being used?

If the pressure does not drop, is there a check valve at the pressure tank in the pipe coming from the well? If you don't know, post a picture of your pressure tank input, pressure gauge, pressure switch and a few feet of incoming pipe.

BatesOKC

Reaction score
With no water being used, look at your pressure gauge. Then look at it a half hour later. Does it stay the same, or drop.

If it drops, that will explain things. If it rose, the pump went on during that interval. How often does the pump run with no water being used?

If the pressure does not drop, is there a check valve at the pressure tank in the pipe coming from the well? If you don't know, post a picture of your pressure tank input, pressure gauge, pressure switch and a few feet of incoming pipe.

Thanks for the reply.

I uploaded two photos. Both taken while no water was running and 40 minutes apart (no water ran for about 30 minutes prior, nor during). I also posted a wider shot photo to show the piping.

I also posted a video to YouTube with audio of the well itself.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7083.jpg
    IMG_7083.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_7081.jpg
    IMG_7081.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_7082.jpg
    IMG_7082.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 550

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a photo from floor level showing the parts pointed to by the yellow arrows, and to the left of the yellow arrows some too.
img_1.jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, it sounds like the water is bubbling in the well, also the cobwebs are moving.

Does the water have a petroleum smell or taste?
Is the water fizzy like seltzer?

BatesOKC

Reaction score
Ok, it sounds like the water is bubbling in the well, also the cobwebs are moving.

Does the water have a petroleum smell or taste?
Is the water fizzy like seltzer?

I don't notice any lingering bubbles. There are tiny bubbles throughout when I go from kitchen faucet to glass, but they only last a few seconds.
No noticeable smell or taste.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like cascading water to me. That is water entering the well above the static water level. It is "water falling" or cascading in the well. This can entrain air into your water depending upon how far below the static level the pump is set.

BatesOKC

Reaction score
Easy way to find out, find someone with a downhole video camera and run it in.

Back to my original concern though... should I be hearing the pump running all the time? I hate to schedule a service call just to be charged $100+ to be told everything is fine and that I was being paranoid.

I already did that with my septic aerator. I had two people tell me I shouldn't be able to hear it running and mine runs quite loud 24/7 (you can easily hear it in the house). Called the septic company and they charge me a service charge to literally take 5 minutes to look at the brand and age of the unit and say "Yep, that's how those operate. Once it goes out and you replace it, the newer one you won't be able to hear unless you're right on top of it. Here's your bill."

Reach4

Reaction score
In reply #2, the gauge still read 75.5 PSI after 40 minutes. It seems to me that either the gauge is bad, (easy and cheap to change) or the pump did not run. That is higher pressure than is commonly used. So I would replace the gauge.

That picture in #5 shows that there is not a check valve up there. A check valve could have kept pressure in the pressure tank while water was doing something in the well casing.

I just now listened to the video.... That sound... not very subtle. Try turning off the switch or breaker to the pump. See if the sound continues with the power off.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with reach. Turn off the power and see if the sound continues. My bet is that it will. I think You're hearing cascading water and not the pump.

BatesOKC

Reaction score
I agree with reach. Turn off the power and see if the sound continues. My bet is that it will. I think You're hearing cascading water and not the pump.

Really weird, last night I turned off the power and checked the well - Dead quiet. Turned the power back on - Still Dead Quiet! This morning, it's still completely quiet other than a faint sound of water. I'll check again when the sprinkler system comes on. Water pressure inside seems fine.

Now I'm completely confused.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You won't hear cascading water after the well has recovered for some time. When you pull the water down in the well then you can hear the water cascading until the well is full again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks