What Other Choice, Removing Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
It would be nice if a microprocessorized controller could be designed to detect if the pressure got too low, and if that happens, suspend the backwash temporarily.

It looks to me as if you could do 9" x 48" 1.00 cu. ft. of Katalox Light or 10x54 of lighter media.

Bannerman

Reaction score
pump cut in which is at 40 psi also my cut off is set at 50psi.
Pump pressure controls are typically set with a 20 psi differential - ie: 30 On - 50 Off or 40 On - 60 Off.

With the pressure set too close, your pump would short cycle every time a faucet is opened/closed which I suspect contributed to the frequent failures of your other pumps.

Melkus

Reaction score
Bannerman your thinking about the post when another person told me I might be better off with a submersible pump which we did have years back and that when out due to things like lightning etc in fact back then the cut in and cut off was set more like 30/50 but I found 40/50 works best with what I have now and has been running I know for over 12 years.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
your thinking about the post when another person told me I might be better off with a submersible pump
Not so. Regardless of the pump type, my comment is in response to your post whereby you indicated having only a 10 psi differential setting.

Any pump motor will require a high amount of current when starting so it is advised to run the pump less frequently but longer once it is operating so as to dissipate the heat generated. A 20 psi differential (ie: most common setting) will reduce the run frequency especially for small water draws but the pump will run longer once it has started.

You indicate having 3 submersible pump failures which seems excessive. If the failures were due to voltage spikes caused by lightening, it is advisable to install a lighting over-voltage protection device on your home's entire electrical system., not only to protect the well pump but also your other appliances and electronics.

Brain2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back from all. I have the typical set up for a well system and that is a deep well jet pump up top drawing water up from 52 feet. This gose into my pressure tank. From there it is feed into a shed out side my house which has two inline filters (1 before and 1 after) along with the tank to adjust my ph and the water softer it self. So no storage tank etc.
I look at some of the Katalox systems and it sounds good but I'm not sure I have enough flow to back wash it properly even a small tank like 10x52. As I said in my first post I'm only getting 5 gpm and that's at the pump.

I only have 6gpm coming from my pump so I purchased a 9" vortech tank KL system with 1 cubic ft that requires only 4gpm backwash. So far it is working great, though I've only had it barely a month. I have read the vortech tanks require less backwash, though they aren't as versatile as a regular tank (i.e. you can't remove the center hose).

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
4 GPM... what is your water temperature? KL like most medias is highly dependent on water temperature to determine the backwash rate. We usually ship these systems with 5-6 GPM backwash rates. Temperature is very important in KL backwash calculations.

Brain2000

Reaction score
4 GPM... what is your water temperature? KL like most medias is highly dependent on water temperature to determine the backwash rate. We usually ship these systems with 5-6 GPM backwash rates. Temperature is very important in KL backwash calculations.

It's around 9 degrees Celsius in the summer. Sometimes even colder. That reminds me, I need to wrap my pipes because condensation is everywhere. My bypass valve looks like it's leaking, but it's really not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks