What order: Wonderboard, tile, flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by idloveaguinness, Jun 28, 2005.

1. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness New Member

Hi -

Glad I found this place....

OK - here's the setup. Pro's got me all the way to 5/8" plywood with a lead pipe (3"?) sticking out of a 4" (or so) hole in the plywood that I need to connect to a flange. I've got about 16" of the lead pipe to work with. Now my questions:

Is the correct order of events: Mortar, 1/2" wonderboard, flange, tile?

Does the flange "lip" rest on the plywood or wonderboard? Do the flange and tile ultimately need to be flush with each other?

How do I connect the lead pipe to a flange? Is there a special flange I should use?

Thanks for any comments....since I'm working with a clean slate, I wanted to get it right the first time.

Regards,
    Kevin

edit: If anyone has seen a cross-section diagram, that would be very helpful.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

When you have the option, a correctly installed toilet flange sits on TOP of the finished flooring. To make things easier, notch the tile so you don't have to drill holes through the tile.
  3. remodelingit

remodelingit New Member

Everything you could ever need to know about tiling can be found at the John Bridge tiling forum. His "Liberry" has some good stuff on the basics in it. Plenty of pros are willing to provide advice.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php
  4. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness New Member

Thanks for the info fellas.