What Monkey Wired this outlet??

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
I opened up an outlet in the attic to tap into it for a new hallway closet light and found this beauty. Has anyone seen anything like it? No neutral wire. Just a wire from the neutral terminal to the mounting screw. WTF? I'm not an electrician, but this does not look kosher.

I fixed the problem and now it is throwing a ground hot reverse. Oy. A little lunch, let my tools charge, and then back to work.d

Attachments

• outlet wiring..jpg
    outlet wiring..jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 429

AlGreen

Reaction score
I believe that's called a bootleg ground.

What was your "fix," so we can figure out why you're getting ground hot reverse?

DanM

Reaction score
I believe that's called a bootleg ground.

What was your "fix," so we can figure out why you're getting ground hot reverse?

I replaced the outlet and attached the neutral wires in the box to the neutral terminal on the outlet. I opened up the outlet and verified that all of the terminals are tight and that the bx has a solid connection.

I checked the bedroom that shares the circuit and found two outlets that are now showing a hot/neutral reverse. :S

ETA: A bootleg ground is adding a wire between the neutral terminal and the grounding terminal. This setup still needs a neutral wire attached to the outlet, which I did not have.

I am wondering if one of the two wires attached to the hot terminals is not a hot but a neutral. These old cloth/rubber wrapped 1950's wires tend to lose their color coding after a while. I must investigate further.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

AlGreen

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks