What Leads For A Digital Multimeter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
I can say I might be just a little scared checking 480 with that meter.
Or you can buy those $90.00 leads for that $10.00 meter. The ones that are 30 feet long; and let you get way back from the meter. Then you can check the higher voltages.

bob...

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Any multimeter I have utilized has the Amp feature protected with a fuse, to prevent injury and/or damage to the meter. Though have investigated 2 instances where an electrician used a multimeter on 5 KV, not enough fuse for this protection.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would stick a plastic pin in that 10 Amp hole on the meter in the picture because it is too easy to stick the lead in that hole and try to measure 120 Volts.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I can say I might be just a little scared checking 480 with that meter.

Since most of the folks on this forum are (mainly) plumbers, I would venture that most of us should not even be in the same room as 480!!! Much less trying to measure it!!!

I remember, back in '02 { the phrase " back in '02" originated long before there was a 2002 to look back at!!!) , as a twidget ( electronic tech) we were cavalier about measuring KV (DC). High voltage, but very low current power supplies, like for radar or whatever. Also, DC zaps you different than AC. But I remember the electricians on the boat had enourmous respect for the 440 distribution. They used to say that stuff will "come and get you" if you mess up.

abrogard

Reaction score
That's a good idea about blocking off that hole. I'll do something like that.

I didn't realise this was primarily a plumbing forum - i found it googling for electricians, with my multimeter problem.

So now I've got a plumbing problem, surprise, surprise.... I'll start a new thread would be the thing to do I reckon.

Back to meters: After my experience of false readings from meters with insufficiently strong leads I am truly wary and worried. I wonder what's the sure way to know that your dealing with a dead circuit? Those 'light up' screwdrivers that many electricians seem to carry? A 'snap on ammeter' ?

I read those comments about it being rare for the homeowner to want to read AC current (and therefore having little need for a snapon ammeter) but in fact it is our mains AC current that we most frequently deal with.

Just putting in a light globe. Replacing a fuse. Trying to fix a power point that's hanging off the wall (my next job) - it is my 240Volt AC supply that I have to deal with.

A defective desk lamp - it's all very trivial looking, cheap to buy, all plastic, super lightweight, thin cord - but it is powered by 240V AC!

'Switch off at the mains' is good advice, yes, but not always possible for one reason or another. And in any case more information, more options, is good.

Carry two meters? Always check with each?

I remember seeing sparkies in the Army always rubbing two wires together to see if they got a spark. Sounds a bit savage..

regards,

ab

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks