What kind of faucet shutoff valve is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of valve this is, or how to disassemble it to replace a washer? I'm assuming it's serviceable - but I haven't seen one quite like this before.

The white plastic knob has "Ameri-Flex by Brass-Craft" printed on it, but Google hadn't heard of such a thing, which seems... odd.

Thanks in advance,
David

image.jpg
image.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu "repair" that valve and its riser, (which can be subject to cracking spontaneously), by replacing it AND the riser pipe. There is no repair and even if there were one, the valve is not worth the time and effort that would be involved.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Thank you sir! I had hunch someone would say something like that. I'm sure at the time the house was built it was the cheapest option. At 41, I'm having my first experiences with a track home... All kinds of new things... Non repairable stuff, non removable sink traps, unregulated irrigation valves.

When I was 20, I bought a shell in Baltimore city (I couldn't afford to buy anything "ready to live in") and paid more attention to the details. I don't get it. I guess when you're building 200 units, every dollar makes a bigger difference.

Anyway, thanks hj for saving me the time and aggravation. I guess I'll just replace both valves and lines as long as I'm in there. And slip on a couple escutcheons while I'm at it.

Asktom

Reaction score
I suspect you will discover that the valve does not use a standard compression nut, but one with a coarse thread. So, you will need to either remove the old nut or get a coarse thread compression angle stop. This is not a common item and none of the box stores will have them, you will need either a good specialty plumbing store or, simpler, search for them on line. The ones I am familiar with only are available with a 3/8" compression outlet. I have also seen adapters that go from the coarse nut to 1/2" male IPS for use with a threaded stop, but they will probably be harder to find.

The flex on the type of valve you have are famous for cracking and flooding. If it was my house, I would change ALL of them.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Asktom,
Thanks for the feedback - good to know.

If that's the case, I'll take your advice. Replacing valves is easy enough. I've got a total of 6 lav sinks that have these.

It's connecting the lines up to the existing faucets that I find to be more of a PITA.

Thanks for the cautionary advice - much appreciated.

David

Reach4

Reaction score
Note that all of your replacement valves should be quarter turn.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You will not know if it has a coarse thread or a fine one until you take one of them off, but I am sure they are fine thread and interchangeable with the old ones using the same nuts.

mana zhao

Reaction score
Hi David, I happen to have the same valves in my home. were you able to replace such kind of valves in your home? If so, could you please let me know what kind of new valves you put on? I noticed that someone mentioned in this thread that the valves are threaded. I'm worried that I might not be allowed to replace them with compression valves. Many thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

mana zhao

Reaction score
I'd just pull the compression ring and nut off. If it doesn't come off easily, there are tools that make it simple. Here's one, but your local plumbing supply store may have others. ONce you have that off, if there's enough of a stub, you can put a trim ring up against the wall to dress it up some.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Faucet-Handle-Compression-Sleeve-Puller-HDX168/204218643

Hi Jim,
Thank you so much for the reply!
Just double check: the (white capped) valve is a compression one and I can replace it with another compression valve? Also many thanks for recommending the removal tool! otherwise, I just thought the compression ring would come off easily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks