What kind of valve do I have to buy for under the kitchen sink?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by amateurplumber1, Mar 20, 2013.

1. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

I think it's the hot water side. I guess I have to turn off the water, cut the pipe underneath the connector, put on the valve, then turn the water back on. Any steps to take before or after turning off the houses water?

What kind of valve should I buy, exactly? I wanna get a sharkbite version because soldering underneath there would be tough (and I dont have a lot of experience soldering). Here are some pics; i have no idea what the little black wire/thing is, but the hose that attaches to the faucet is off (you can see the hole in the top). Its old as heck.

Thanks a ton!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You have a double shutoff there. The tubing to the right is for the dishwasher. You may want to pick up a compression double stop with two handles. That way you don't shut off both the dishwasher and the kitchen sink while when is being repaired.
    I don't know why you would sharkbite something so simple. You just slide on a new shutoff and snug it up with a cresent wrench.
    Are we forgetting how to use tools?
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

I appreciate the info! Btw, thanks for the forums, I have learned a lot here!
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Instead of a Sharkbite, you should use a compression fitting. You place the nut on the pipe, follow with the compression ring then slip the valve over the pipe end. Screw the nut onto the valve which pushes the ring into place. Tighten the nut with a wrench. Done. These are preferred to sweat fittings because they don't require heat in a tough position and their simplicity makes them very easy to install, or remove and replace if necessary.
  5. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Guys, I did it! Thanks a lot for the help! Took your advice and used the compression fitting. Went smoothly. I should probably replace the other valve too. I'm going to replace all the stuff down there. Anyway, thanks again for the advice!