What kind of toilet to floor caulk dries hard like cement?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I removed the toilet at my in-laws place last night. I'm tiling their bathroom.
I could not cut the caulking at the base of the toilet. My razor knife just scratched along the surface. It felt like a cement/grout like product. This toilet is sitting on a vinyl floor now which is over concrete slab. The toilet was install about a year ago.

I ended up cutting through the vinyl around the toilet about 1/4 inch away from the base of toilet. After cutting around the toilet I had no problem removing the toilet. Now I need to go back and finish the tiling and clean this stuff off the bottom of the toilet.

Any idea what it could be? Do any of the normal caulking products (i.e. Polyseamseal) dry hard like cement.

Just curious.
Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It might be grout. There are some that think it's a good idea. Not me though.
I like polyseamseal, a water based caulk that allows me to pull a bowl when needed.
Even Silicone can be very hard to remove. I've had tile pull up from the floor trying to lift a bowl.

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. You are most likely correct.

However, I think it is strange for someone to use grout between a toilet and vinyl floor (I would not find it as strange if the toilet was on a tile/ceramic floor as the person then applying the grout would probably be the tile setter - in which case he would have some grout mixed up for the tile job.

Reaction score
I think it is strange for someone to use grout between a toilet and vinyl floor
Well not really, a contractor will:

1. Do whatever they feel like,
2. Use whatever they have or not have in their truck at the time (probably forgot to bring some Mapei silicone),
3. Do whatever they can get away with.

So really not much of a mystery here.

Steve78

Reaction score
Could be something like Quad brad exterior caulking.
Main adavantage of poloyseamseal is its cheap, water based so easy to use.
Any non water based caulk will last 10 times longer.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
On Long Island, it is an odd local custom to make a "base" for the toilet out of what they call plaster of paris (which it may not be), and then "set the toilet", as they call it. And every licensed plumber there will insist that that is the only proper way to do it, regardless of what the manufacturer's instructions say. I have needed a chisel or similar every time I have replaced one of the toilets -- installing the new one the more traditional way.

Trainmaster

Reaction score
Old thread, but just happened upon it. Yes, on Long Island we set the bowl in plaster - a glob of it and tool it around the edges. It permits the base to be leveled, dries hard and fat people can't rock the flange back and forth until it rips clear of the lead bend. Sets up in ten minutes and we wipe the excess away with a damp sponge. Never discolors, molds or deteriorates like caulking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks