What kind of pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by tomalidav, Aug 7, 2011.

1. tomalidav

tomalidav New Member

Just had a new well dug in SE AZ. 410 feet deep. Am completely off grid but do not want another solar pump. is there a 110v pump which could handle this? If not, I will use my portable generator to pump as we do not have 220v on our system.
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

You don't say what the water table comes up to. It is a very important factor in choosing the right size of pump. This is just a generalization but I doubt a genset that only produces 110V would drive a suitably sized pump to draw from 400 feet. Rather than search for a 110V pump, you should consider a 240V genset.
  3. tomalidav

tomalidav New Member

Head is only 50' so i will be going w/the 240 thanks
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

My solar friend built a little oil field type pumper, and uses a standard pump cylinder and sucker rod to operate. I think its 600' and uses a tiny motor off of one dedicated panel. These last almost forever and all repairs are fairly easy from the surface.