What kind of Copper to CPVC fitting is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

JerryR

Reaction score
I have good amount of experience sweating copper. I also have done a lot of PVC work with my irrigation system. I have no experience with mating copper to CPVC. I've replace several water heaters using copper only. Our vacation home has CPVC connected to the heater which I will be replacing shortly.

Looking at the pictures you can see the adaptor is sweated onto the ¾†copper not very far from the wall. I do not want to put a torch to this as it is too close to the interior garage wallboard. Not being familiar with this adaptor I have several questions?

• Can someone tell me how the CPVC attached to this fitting?
• Is it threaded?
• Can it be reused?
• Is the CPVC 90d a special 90 to connect to the adaptor?

I will be replacing the WH and before cutting out the CPVC I want to make sure I have what I need to complete the job.

Jerry

Attachments

• cpvc2.JPG
    cpvc2.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 730
  • cpvc1.JPG
    cpvc1.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 695
  • cpvc3.JPG
    cpvc3.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 660

JerryR

Reaction score
It appears to be a copper to PVC transition union, which should unscrew.

So is it similar to one of these? I then should put an open end wrench on the flat to prevent the 3/4?†copper from rotating and rotate the knurled ring counter clockwise with a pipe wrench?

Jerry

Attachments

• 2503688.jpg
    2503688.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,666

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Using a pipe wrench could distort the knurled fitting.

I would give it all I had with my hand first (a glove might help).
If I had to use a tool, my first choice would be a strap wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks