What kind of Copper to CPVC fitting is this?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JerryR, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JerryR

JerryR Member

I have good amount of experience sweating copper. I also have done a lot of PVC work with my irrigation system. I have no experience with mating copper to CPVC. I've replace several water heaters using copper only. Our vacation home has CPVC connected to the heater which I will be replacing shortly.

Looking at the pictures you can see the adaptor is sweated onto the ¾†copper not very far from the wall. I do not want to put a torch to this as it is too close to the interior garage wallboard. Not being familiar with this adaptor I have several questions?

• Can someone tell me how the CPVC attached to this fitting?
    • Is it threaded?
    • Can it be reused?
    • Is the CPVC 90d a special 90 to connect to the adaptor?

I will be replacing the WH and before cutting out the CPVC I want to make sure I have what I need to complete the job.

Jerry

Attached Files:

2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

It appears to be a copper to PVC transition union, which should unscrew.
  3. JerryR

JerryR Member

So is it similar to one of these? I then should put an open end wrench on the flat to prevent the 3/4?†copper from rotating and rotate the knurled ring counter clockwise with a pipe wrench?

Jerry

Attached Files:

4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Using a pipe wrench could distort the knurled fitting.

I would give it all I had with my hand first (a glove might help).
    If I had to use a tool, my first choice would be a strap wrench.