What is wrong with my water!

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by georgiadawg, Sep 30, 2009.

1. georgiadawg

georgiadawg New Member

It has been cutting off while taking a shower/bath/washing clothes...then it will come back on full force and run for a bit and cut back off but always cuts back on......what i know: it is a submerged pump about 3 years old....has pressure..points are closed and will not open but will shoot blue fire when i poke at them.....going to by a new pressure switch and try that....me; just a single female with no money but brother in laws who will help.. :)
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Changing the switch is probably a good idea but when you do, if it is attached to any kind of pipe or tube, make sure the pipe is cleaned out before re-installing. Also, make sure the air charge in the bladder tank is correct for the switch. It should have 2lbs. less air pressure than the cut in pressure of the switch. Adjustment needs to be made with the pump off and the tank drained of pressure. If you get water out of the air valve the tank is bad and will need to be replaced.
  3. georgiadawg

georgiadawg New Member

When I checked the pressure with a tire gauge it reads 31 sticker says 38 ( if I remember what I read) and saw no water coming out.... seems like in the past I have had a problem with a clog near the switch.....I have pressure but the pump/well itself is not making a sound at all.....So I am gonna change the switch and look for a clog....heck my daughter and I put a capacitor on the AC unit last summer...so we will cut the power to this and see what happens :) thanks
  4. georgiadawg

georgiadawg New Member

I may have fixed it....to much air in the tank....had about 36 and now has just under 30psi...I just washed a load of clothes and it did not cut off once :) the real test will come when I take a shower...and to think I have been dealing with this for a month or so....dreading it was gonna cost lots of money...just a tire gauge....
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

6. georgiadawg

georgiadawg New Member

ahhh yes hope we beat LSU on Saturday :)
  7. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

If the air pressure in the tank is increasing all by itself, your bladder is busted and the tank needs to be replaced.
  8. georgiadawg

georgiadawg New Member

So I better keep an eye on the pressure...Thanks I would have not thought to do that....