What Is This Pipe Under My Kitchen Sink, And Can I Get Rid Of It?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve___CO

Reaction score
20160505_194524 sm.jpg 20160505_194405 sm.jpg
Hello! I have a dual sink with an extra drain pipe that I am wondering if I can just get rid of. To summarize what is in the pictures, there is a garbage disposal on the right side of the sink, and in the first picture you see the white vertical pipe in the middle which is coming down from the left sink, and the garbage disposal output connecting to the tee. The two horizontal drain pipes go to the cabinet on the left, where they connect and go down to the basement and up to the roof vent.

My question is - what is this black vertical pipe on the left? It goes to the top of the cabinet and is open at the top. It used to have the dishwasher drain running in to the top of it. When I installed a new garbage disposal I connected an air gap and ran the dishwasher drain to that, and then out to the garbage disposal.

I guess my real question is, can I just cut this thing off and put a cap on it? It seems useless now that I have the dishwasher draining elsewhere. It also seems odd that it is completely open at the top, but since there is a trap I assume that is OK.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Steve

Stuff

Reaction score
If you just cap the top it won't dry out and you have a great breeding spot with the stagnant water. Better to remove the trap and horizontal run. Then use a plug at the tee. It was probably intended to be a clean-out.

For the pros - is there any code about unused/abandoned traps? Similar to a horizontal dry vent.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Abandoned cesspools, grease interceptors, seepage pits, septic tanks, and sewers yes. Traps...uh no. Just cut it off and glue on a cap or a clean out adaptor w/plug. The latter would be my choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks