What is this loop under my kitchen sink? RO Feed to Fridge?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by stupid48, May 21, 2014.

1. stupid48

stupid48 New Member

Hi there,

I'm going to be moving a couple of plumbing stubs to move my kitchen sink cabinet. Under the sink, there is a copper pipe than comes out of the wall and goes back in. I'm assuming it has something to do with the water supply behind the fridge but I'm only guessing. Come someone suggest what this is?

[​IMG]

Thanks, Chris
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Very unusual for sure. Here's my guess FWIW. I suspect there is a stud behind the loop and perhaps the installer couldn't figure how to drill a hole for the pipe so he just went around the stud. Maybe 2 or 3 studs sistered together making drilling difficult. I don't see how it would have anything to do with the ice maker. That line should tap off a supply line in plain sight. But, who knows when a DIY has hacked his plumbing what you may run into. When you finally discover what it really is, report back.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is the water feed to the refrigerator. It was done that way so if you installed an RO drinking water system, it could be connected to the icemaker/water connection.
  4. stupid48

stupid48 New Member

Thanks. That's kind of what I figured....... I just thought it was strange because the house was built in 1998 so I was surprised that the builder would stub out for that...Seems like a more modern thing to me...
  5. MikeQ

MikeQ New Member

No, that's a plumber's grab handle, installed to make it easier for the plumber to position his body for those difficult under-sink repairs.

And with it's textured grip surface, one of the more deluxe ones I've seen.
  6. stupid48

stupid48 New Member

hehe. thanks for the humor... :eek:
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In most cases it is the plumber's decision to do it, not the builder. I have never had a builder as me to do it.