What is this black stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paula c

Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping someone could tell me what this is, why it happens and how to fix it.
Backstory....., main water was shut off for an hour or so.... and this only comes out when the hot water is turned on not the cold.

Thanks so much ☺

Attachments

• 20170221_063441.jpg
    20170221_063441.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 278

Reach4

Reaction score
Just that lav? The hose may be disintegrating.

Other hot? I would flush the WH. That may not fix things, but it is a good thing to do periodically anyway.

Flushing can be done different ways. The simplest is to
1. Turn off the water, and put the WH in vacation mode, if it has one. Otherwise off.
2. Open a hot water tap to pass air.
3. Drain the WH completely
4. Turn the water supply on fully for a few seconds, and turn off. You are trying to cause turbulence to the bottom of the tank.
5. Do steps 3 and 4 several times. If you have a way to monitor the drained water, you could judge by what you are getting out.
6. Turn the water and WH back on. Close the hot water tap once the air has been expelled and just water is coming out.

Paula c

Reaction score
So if it happened after the main water was shut off and turned on, that's normal? This was the only faucet I didn't drain prior to shutting the water off?

ropinheels

Reaction score
Are you on a well? I am, and I have had iron reducing bacteria produce the same stuff but it affects the line coming in and as a result the whole house. Mine came from the well casing. It might be possible yours is just in the water heater. Im in CO too and just got he black specs never any rusty stains. Just a thought.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks