What is the ~purpose~ of laundry boxes......

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by chefwong, Sep 13, 2011.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Okay. I currently have 2 small profile valves right behind my laundry machine almost near the height if the machine itself. Easy to turn off as they are 1/4 turn ball valves. Not exposed but ~easy accessiable~. Next to it is a huge cast iron sink that is my laundry sink - that I loop the hose into to drain.

I've been looking at laundry boxes.....and am curious. The only time I would turn the valve off would be if I went on vacation.
    For those with laundry boxes, aside from it serving as a consolidation point for your washing machine, do you guys turn the valve on/ off each time you use it.

I need to redo the entire basement so tackling this if I was ....is best done now.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I turn mine on/off each time I use the WM. Those designed for a WM, often have a single lever to get both at the same time. You do not need a box.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It seems to me the box may be a nice thing to use if your laundry area was in or close to your living area. In a basement where looks may not be quite as important, they serve not useful purpose. Years ago I bought one for my basement laundry area. I use it, but it is just attach to the cement wall. Probably a waste of money, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I use the single lever shut off, but we really don't turn the water off very often. I suppose after a hose blows we may regret it, but since there is a floor drain directly in front of the washer, it isn't likely to cause too much damage. (I hope)
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

After 11 years, I turned my washing machine valves off last year when I got a new machine. Otherwise they stay on all the time. That was with a low top loader and the valves were accessible if I had wanted to use them. With the new front load machines on pedestals, the standard WM box and valves are usually inaccessible for constant on/off operation.