What is the purpose of caulk around toilet??

Users who are viewing this thread

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
drake_angle2.jpg

Is it done just to "look nice"?? Other than that, is it important/necessary to run a bead of caulk around the front of a newley installed toilet??
Thanks, Tom :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is to keep water on the floor ( i.e. after a shower, mopping, etc.) from going IN UNDER the toilet, where it could stagnate and possibly reach the subfloor and cause problems.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Another purpose of caulking toilets

Also very helpful if someone in the house doesn't "aim to please..."

bredian

Reaction score
boys

If this were a perfect world we would not have to caulk around toilets but there are young men with imperfect aiming devices and you don't want to remove the toilet daily to wipe under it!

A week of my 7 year old vs uncaulked toilet helped clear this up for me.

The plumber and the tile contractor like to point to each other for responsibility ("caulking to match tile grout"). Give the plumber matching caulk if you can, but make him responsible for finishing the fixture installation.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
caulking the base of a toilet

When setting a toilet over tile, you can always use clear caulk.

The picture at the top has caulk that dries clear. The picture was taken before it dried.

In Washington State, we are not allowed to fully seal the toilet bowl to the floor. The plumbing inspectors insist that we don't.
If the seal leaks, it's better to know sooner.
I've gone into home where the floor is almost gone from dry rot.

In some states, like Phoenix Arizona, they do want it sealed all the way around.

Last edited:

Susan H

Reaction score
I'm glad I saw this.

In the picture, it looks like the caulk goes back to the bolts on the side, correct? My husband installed one of the Drakes yesterday but hasn't caulked it yet.

Edit: Living in Oklahoma, we have a slab foundation. Would it be OK to caulk further back, leaving only the back edge uncaulked?

Last edited:

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Always leave the back edge uncaulked, reason is, if the wax ever failed you will see a problem before it's to late, besides, code says there will be a smooth transition between different surfaces, be a toilet, wall mount/pedestal sink or what have you.

Netty

Reaction score
Thanks very much Snowman..you're right ....I'm glad you 'bumped' this thread for me. Not only do I now know we should caulk it - I also know why :)
We'll be caulking first thing tomorrow...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Caulk

It has several functions.
1. it seals the gap so water does not go under the toilet.
2. it fills the gap under the toilet so it does not "wiggle".
3. it "glues" the toilet to the floor which also prevents movement.
4. Our inspectors insist on it, and will turn down a job where a gap was left at the back.

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
hj said:
It has several functions.
1. it seals the gap so water does not go under the toilet.
2. it fills the gap under the toilet so it does not "wiggle".
3. it "glues" the toilet to the floor which also prevents movement.
4. Our inspectors insist on it, and will turn down a job where a gap was left at the back.

At the back??? I thought that was to left "unchaulked" for the reasons mentioned above??? :confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks