What is the easiest way to measure fall or slope in waste line?

Users who are viewing this thread

hevnbnd

Reaction score
Just curious how most measure fall. I know 1/4 per foot just not real sure an easy way to measure that. Thanks

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
The bubble on the level will be about 1/4 of the way past the line. You can get the graded levels which have 3 lines on the one side so if you want to be all engineer like you know exactly what it is.

You can also measure the top of the pipe if its a long run...run a level string and then measure it 10 feet down the length.

pbr3232

Reaction score
Get a pitch level at Sears. The fractions are marked on it. 20 bucks or so.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
If you can get your hands on a builders level, tripod, and a measuring stick, you be all set.

Just shoot your grade off the top of the pipe where you started, then go 4 feet and you should be 1" lower, every 48 feet you should be a foot lower. The package I just pictured below I found as cheap as 190 bucks brand new online. I got a good old one off of **** 10 years ago for 30 bucks. Only thing I had to do is get the measuring stick which was another $50.

buildersLevel.jpg
Builderslevelpackage.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
grade

There are many ways. Some levels have a line on the bubble for 1/4" grade. Ridgid, and other companies, made a level with a stud on one end which you could adjust for any pitch you wanted. The surveyor's level is another way, but it takes two people, and unless it is self leveling, like mine is, it takes time to set it up. You could also use a laser leveling device which "tweedles" when the target is at the proper point.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The pipe is in a straight line.
Put a drill bit under one end of the level until the bubble lines up.
The [drill bit diameter]/[the level length] = rise/run.
A level accuracy of 0.0005" per inch seems to be common. To get this in degrees, minutes and seconds take the arctangent.

ARCTANGENT? You/ve got to be kidding. Who needs that precision for a sewer line? For a 4' level you would need a 1" drill bit, which are somewhat hard to come by in the normal course of events.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks